What is your favorite time of day to write?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 55 discussions (70 posts)
  1. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

I don't just mean hubpages, though that counts, too.  I mean when you feel that creative urge and you want to sit down and let the language flow until something beautiful comes out, whether it's a short story, a bit of a novel, a poem or, yes, a hub.

1. profile image53
      vivnelsonposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I find mid morning is the best, I've had time to wake up and knock the sleep completely out of my system - sometime late at night can be good too as you are not likely to get an annoying phone call and your not generally distracted as much.

2. Originplus profile image61
    Originplusposted 16 years ago

In the morning....when I'm wide awake and clear minded. Im an early bird.

1. Betty HouseWife profile image63
      Betty HouseWifeposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Me too after a huge shot of coffee ! But I sometimes get a sudden rush of energy and inspiration really late at night too.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years ago

Anytime that is QUIET smile

1. funride profile image67
      funrideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

My favorite time of day to write is during the night big_smile

2. atomswifey profile image57
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh I second that!
      I have to have it really quiet when I write.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

definitely needs to be quiet and still, I love writing really late at night or out in nature any time if it's quiet.

I have small notebooks around the house, car, purse. once I even wrote a short poem with an eyebrow pencil ~~~~ I was in the bath tub. smile

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

can't go wrong with being in the bathtub! lol and for me I actually have to have movies playing in the backgrond. sometiems I like it quiet other times I need something going on so I can write. And I am with you. I have a notebook at home and one in my purse! we think a like there. lol

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to bed soon tonight but I have your new hubs on my list to read tomorrow~ wink

1. profile image0
            Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aaa thanks rebekah that is nice of ya. sweet dreams chica

4. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

I'll take any time that I can get, precious little that it is...my favorite time is evenings when everyone's in bed and asleep and things are peaceful.  Then I like to pull out a notebook and pen, sit in my chair with a cup of coffee and just let go.

5. profile image0
    emmabalmerposted 16 years ago

I usually write as soon as I can in the morning because I'm usually lying awake in bed at 2:00 a.m. trying to decide which way to go with my book and which story to tell next.

Morning is a pretty creative time, but I write whenever I get a free moment.

6. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

Whenever I have a moment. Early mornings..late at night...zs

7. Marco_Man profile image59
    Marco_Manposted 16 years ago

4pm EST, "Smoke and Pancake"....

8. William F. Torpey profile image69
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

I prefer to write late in the evening when interruptions are less likely to occur. At 72, my instant recall takes about 10 to 15 minutes, so I lose a lot of good writing time when I my train of thought goes off the track. A cup of steaming hot coffee doesn't hurt, either.

9. profile image58
    kiwiguyposted 16 years ago

Kia Ora there fellow scribes of the keyboard.

I tend to write my best stuff late at night,  as my flattie (roomate in American language) isn't up to  disturb me with all his house noise, you know how people are,  f**k**g noisy creatures they are when your on a computer, as your hearing is more acute whilst on a puter, I have the puter in my lounge, is my office too...and hey, coffee is your best friend when writing late, trust me. smile

I also write mid afternoon, then have a three-four, whateva, hour break from the WHOLE COMPUTER environment and go for a walk into the village here and meet people and just forget about the internet and everything..is called emptying the mind of all technical clutter and the internet...I have found through personal experience and books etc, that STAYING ON a puter ALL day is NO good for the soul and mind...so people in offices the world over, take note, your shrinking and frying your brain quicker if you stay on a puter all day, find balance and stick to it and be the boss of your puter, it's not the other way around am afraid.

PS: Am a newbie on this site, but not a newbie to the internet, since 1999, so know how these m/board type forums work, I still remember chatting in YAHOO movie chat rooms,
    all their politics and sometimes waste of bandwidth space, like today still.
    My background,  have written, dabbled rather, in screenplays, have completed 3 feature length ones on and off since 2000, now just looking for the right producer who WON'T SCREW me over...have been there once eh, never again my babies!..Have done a-bit of freelancing in the past as well, as in general pieces.

Ask me anything re writing screenplays, and I'll give you good brief advice and no bullshit!..it will save you buying any of the two hundred odd books on screenwriting, which most of them are utter American crap anyway and confuse you more..I learnt by doing eh, you only learn by doing really, attending one year filmschool to get me going on the basics, and have also made
    short films as part of the 48hr film competition we have here in NZ every May..write-shoot-edit, and no script allowed to be done before the start time...try it!  smile
    My profile on here, will be developed much later when I deem it more important than other things I have going on at the moment..Hey I go now, writing work to do keyboard pounders!  smile

-Gregg. Devonport, Auckland, New Zealand.
    E-Mail: kiwiscript@hotmail.com

10. Soya profile image59
    Soyaposted 16 years ago

i prefer to write after the sunset...

11. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 16 years ago

In the evening or at night.Its unmanagable for me to write in the mornings though thats a pretty good time with a fresh mood and mind.

12. ripplemaker profile image76
    ripplemakerposted 16 years ago

i am a morning person...usually that works best for me.  But there are nights when thoughts would come in and i find myself writing then. smile

13. Thom Carnes profile image59
    Thom Carnesposted 16 years ago

I remember an English writer (I think it may have been Kingsley Amis) saying once that amateur writers only write when they feel inspired, but professional writers write *any time* - when they ill, hungover, frustrated, depressed, etc. They set themselves a timetable or a target, and they stick to it, come what may.

Sounds impressive - but perhaps a little overly ambitious for most of us mere humans!

1. Dorsi profile image89
      Dorsiposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I write whenever I get a chance, but my favorite time is when the house is empty, the animals are in another room (except if they are behaving themselves then they get to stay while I write)
      It could be anytime of day, but probably late at night would be my favorite time.
      I have learned to write under all sorts of different circumstances, as I've always had lots of distractions, my sons have adhd, so they were always bouncing around, I also have a business with frequent fires to be out out and problems to be solved, so I've learned to take whatever time I can to write!
      I've always maintained that to make any money at your craft it's a must to discipline yourself. It's hard sometimes but necessary!

1. arrrgonaut profile image61
        arrrgonautposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's hard for me to write anything before midnight.  But maybe that's because I make myself write something everyday, so I end up doing a lot of scribbling right before bed time.

Coffee also a must.

14. risend profile image54
    risendposted 16 years ago

When I set some time away to stare at a blank white screen. I usually scribble down ideas in my notebook when I am going through the daily stuff. I find ideas hit me when I am commuting.

15. Flashfire profile image58
    Flashfireposted 16 years ago

My favorite time to write is at around 1-4 A.M.  My creative juices ooze out of me during those peak hours. 2 more hours to go...lol

16. robbell profile image60
    robbellposted 16 years ago

I like to write first thing during the day, although I also find myself creative at around 2-3 in the morning. It sometimes takes a few coffees to get the creative juices flowing though!

17. Karen and Lesley profile image61
    Karen and Lesleyposted 16 years ago

That's a tough one.  I can't really say that I have a favourite time to write.  First I have to answer the question when do I have time to write?  So some days it can be early in the morning then again it can be late at night or even during the day if I get a spare minute to put pen to paper.  I can tell you that whenever I have some spare time (especially at work) I find myself planning or starting a story.  I just love writing and I find personally that I do it any time.

Lesley

18. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

My favourite time to write is early evening, after a couple of beers to relax from work. However - though the alcohol helps the flow, it doesn't help the precision, and I prefer the cold light of morning for editing, before submitting anything important. Creation and Revision are very different process, and best tackled separately, I find.

19. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 16 years ago

I am night owl, and prefer to write in the late evening. During the day my mind is busy with other tasks such as business, household responsibilites, so nightime is best for me, and since I work from home with my mate, I get to sleep late. smile

20. Betty Jo Petty profile image60
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 16 years ago

every chance I get.

1. elisabeth reid profile image66
      elisabeth reidposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, I don't get all that many chances.

Is Spring Break over yet?

Purty pleeeeeeaaaaaaase?

21. Woody Marx profile image68
    Woody Marxposted 16 years ago

I write ALL the time...because I write in my head....so I can write things lying down in bed in the morning etc. or when I am waiting for a bus etc. I am not saying my writing is 'good' writing...but it is the way I do it.  smile

22. Mia Hampton profile image60
    Mia Hamptonposted 16 years ago

Mine is in the morning when my mind is clear and at night when everything is silent.

23. Kelley Eidem profile image45
    Kelley Eidemposted 16 years ago

Oftentimes, I get ideas around 11 pm at night. So I end up writing quite a bit between 11 and 2 am. It sucks when I have to get up early the next morning. ;-)

But I like writing at any time. I never get writer's block. Never. The blank page rarely stays blank for more than a few seconds. That's what's great about deleting. I just write something and then start over.

When I was writing my book, there was one day when I wrote for 13 hours. That was a great day! Then there is revision, revision, revision.

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

24. dcbrown2000 profile image61
    dcbrown2000posted 16 years ago

My favorite time for writing is when I get an idea.  This could be any hour of the day.  I just stop what I am doing and pour out my thoughts while they are fresh.

25. cjcs profile image61
    cjcsposted 16 years ago

I like to write whenever I happen to have something to say.  If I'm in the middle of a novel or similar project,  I like to get my minimum words in as soon as it's feasible just to get it out of the way...when I do that, I tend to write even more later in the day.  On those days that I just can't get the gumption up to write, I'll plop myself in front of the computer and get the minimum words out just before bedtime.  Whenever I do it and no matter to what degree I have motivation, I find the general quality of the work stays about the same.

For me, the key isn't so much when I write, but how tired I am when I'm writing.

26. profile image0
    Om Paramapoonyaposted 16 years ago

My favorite time to write fiction is early morning when my mind is fresh and energetic and carefree and not cluttered. Then I write on hubpages and blog at night when my brain gets a bit calmer.

27. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

5:30am just before bed when I know that everyone else in the world is sleeping.  There is such a sense of empowerment of knowing you are the only one truly alive at that moment.

In terms of a place rather than a time I would say that the best Poetry I ever did was always on a subway train going from Brooklyn to Manhattan on the way to work.

28. rajan_niku profile image59
    rajan_nikuposted 16 years ago

well my favorite time pass is reading eyes   and writing on vast no of topics in what ever field i get to. may be itzz a tech savvy or poems or some thing special
    just here is a few lines that i tried to write for a momentum, if any reviews or correction plzz feel free to tell
    "The white beauty standing still symbolizing the century old love,
    warped in  white marbles symbolizing the century old peace and friendship,
    sparkling in the full moon night as if it got a life into it
    and looking towards every one as an angel from the sky"

29. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

AT NIGHT

30. profile image0
    reconciled heartposted 14 years ago

For me, early morning or late night are best.  I am least likely to be interrupted or distracted.  I am inspired with ideas all day, but actually sit down to write during the outer edges of the day.

31. Gennifer profile image53
    Genniferposted 14 years ago

I prefer to write in the afternoon, when I completely wake up and not tired yet... smile It's more difficult to concentrate on work in late evenings...

32. smokenchic profile image59
    smokenchicposted 14 years ago

night time for me, mostly. Sometimes in the afternoon.

33. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

I don't have a specific time of day; it depends on my mood and energy level.
    if I'm feeling inspired, I can write 4-5 articles....roll

34. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I do write when inspired but other times it's at night when I write a lot more. Don't know why but that is when my brain is the most ative even though my body is tired and ready to sleep. lol

1. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's your style.pretty cool.smile

35. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Always night time.But I read more much than I write.

36. profile image54
    Micelineposted 14 years ago

I like to write all the time, but I find that later at night when the kids are sleep is my quiet time.

37. yolanda yvette profile image61
    yolanda yvetteposted 14 years ago

Anytime, really.

But I find myself to be more creative and productive first thing in the morning, especially after a good night's sleep.

38. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

That urge just never leaves me. Anytime I can get to my PC now, even in the wee hours of the morning.

39. ODDJOBSMOM profile image60
    ODDJOBSMOMposted 14 years ago

Though my hubs do not exhibit the flow of words, I "jot" in the morning when the ideas are fresh from a restless night of dreamwriting. Then, I freely "blow a fuse" and write without abandon-after the house is dark and quiet. The scenes and characters can move about without interruption.  I'm more of a freestyle and fiction writer so my hubs are just puddles of thought right now, maybe because I write them during the day when everyone's moving around me.  Maybe I need to pull some all- nighters like when my main characters are most active...?

40. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I am in the mood to write right now but it is getting late and I know that my mind won't write right if that makes sense lol. So will be writing in the morning big_smile

41. Luciendasky profile image60
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

anytime that I am not working on anything else big_smile

42. Ebower profile image81
    Ebowerposted 14 years ago

I like to write in the morning when my mind is fresh or in the evening.  I'm a night owl, so that's probably why I like to write then smile.

43. tiginban profile image60
    tiginbanposted 14 years ago

Anytime, after a long walk.

44. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I don't know, I've been writing most of the day and sometimes you just write when you have to write. roll  like for a project and it needs to get done, or you have a goal of what you want to accomplish.

45. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

most of my stories come to me in the middle of the night...after that it's just a matter of finding the first moment of quiet I can get to pin the words down! if it wasn't for my family, I guess i'd write all thru the night....! smile

46. Ashukah profile image60
    Ashukahposted 13 years ago

Unfortunately, I usually want to write during the day so that I can go to bed at a reasonable time at night, but I always end up feeling the most inspired to write around 11 p.m. and onward.

47. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

sometime after dinner but before midnight.

48. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

Well, I used to like writing at night but now I find I can concentrate better during the day. However, I don't usually have the opportunity to do that at the moment, due to having a toddler to look after who doesn't go to bed until 9pm - hence, I don't have many hubs!

49. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

anytime its quiet and I'm all alone to face the dark and mysterious substance known as a train of thought.

1. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I get that train of thought when I'm outside walking on my own (or with my son asleep in the pushchair!) The words just sort of form and then I just need to remember them!!

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's the worst!  Being in a situation where you can't possibly write what you're thinking!!  Such as when you're driving during rush hour....hmm

50. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 13 years ago

In the middle of the night... that is when I am most creative. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)