jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Blog posts

1. ahostagesituation profile image78
    ahostagesituationposted 5 years ago

I've started 3 book-based websites based on the subjects I'm writing about for my would-be agent. (She would-be if I would actually suck it up and write something that is).  Anyone know what an appropriate amount of content update is expected these days?  I *cough-dontreallyreadblogs-cough* and I don't know what amount is reasonable.  I was asking questions in HP's "ask a question" designation, but I don't like that I can't comment or respond to answers, especially the actually helpful answers.  Hit me up.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Asking how long a blog post should be, is like asking "how long is a piece of string?"   

A blog post is as long as you need it to be, to cover the subject. 

However, if I'm starting a blog, I keep things short - you need to post frequently at first to impress Google, so rather than writing one 900 word post, I'll break it up into 300 word posts so I get three posts out of the topic instead of one.

Don't go below 300 words for a post, as very short posts may not get indexed.

If you're using Blogger or Wordpress, you can schedule posts to be published automatically in the future, so you can write a whole bunch of stuff one day and then sit back for a few weeks if you want to.

ahostagesituationposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Marisa.  I like the "how long is a piece of string" line, I think that's clever.  It's just not part of my question. My question is regarding frequency of content posted and not the length of content.  I don't read blogs usually, and I don't know if bloggers are writing daily, weekly or what have you.  I don't know what the expectation is to keep the site fresh.  Thanks anyway, though.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Posting more frequently is better when you're starting the blog, which is why I'm suggesting breaking long articles into smaller bytes.  If you can manage to post once a day for the first month, that's great.  Then you can afford to slow down a bit, and ultimately you'll get away with posting once a week or even once a month.

And by the way, if these sites are intended as promotion for your work, you need to learn a bit more about self-promotion.  I say that because you're missing a prime opportunity on your HubPages profile, where you can post as many links to websites as you like.

Running a successful blog is 10% writing and 90% promotion.

Thank you, Marissa!! That was really helpful.  I get it. I'm going to end up re-publishing hubs etc, and placing links to the sites under my working pen name instead of this "ahostagesituation" handle I use. I do need to get better about promotion, but I don't like doing it.  I'd rather just write right, and not have to promote it :-).  Everything is in good fun with these sites, so hopefully others are posting and I am just contributing.   Appreciate this, thanks!

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I am not familiar with blog posts with regards to book-based websites. However, Shadesbreath is a writer who is working his book through blogs and I guess you could follow his example?

My blog posts are not consistent with normal blog posts, which would be about 300-400 words in length. I tend to make my blog posts much longer for the most part. I do make some of them short, but not all the time.

Below are his links....one is to his profile here on HubPages and the other is his website.

http://shadesbreath.hubpages.com/
    http://daultonbooks.com/

Good luck going forward.

I appreciate it!  I've seen Shadesbreath's hubs, a few anyway, and they're great.   I'm not good at self-promotion, and have no interest in it, so it was way easier for me to start communites that were titled after the books.  I know you're supposed to get on them and say something every now and then, and I just need to know how much I have to keep up with.<--Did I just end a sentence with a preposition?  And I call myself a writer...

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do it a lot. lol

working