- Home Decorating
Bedroom Decorating – Finishing Your Sanctuary or Retreat - Decorating Your Bedroom
Decorating Your Bedroom – Your Sanctuary and Retreat
Bedrooms are important! We spend at least one-third to one-half of our lives in an often neglected and under-decorated, often over-cluttered, room – our bedrooms. We first began our discussion about bedroom decorating in the article, Bedroom Decorating – Your Refuge, Your Sanctuary! We discussed the importance of having a bedroom we can escape to in order to refresh and revitalize ourselves.
After you have selected your theme, then you can decide what colors you might like to create your perfect sanctuary. Bedroom Decorating - Choosing a Color for Your Bedroom can help you with this process.
Then we moved onto beginning the actual creation of this sanctuary or refuge using a thematic approach to bedroom decorating in the article, Bedroom Decorating – Creating a Refuge and a Santuary. We focused on creating a room that provided a place where you could be relaxed and refreshed.
In this article, we will touch on personalizing your special living space and creating a place that conjures up many happy memories.
Creating Your Own Bedroom Decorating Scheme
As you have gone through life, many people, places and things have brought joy to you; and they have found a special place in your heart. And as you continue on this journey of life, little things you see remind you of those special people, places and things. It is time to think about these things and incorporate them into your sanctuary.
These items are special to you and to you alone. What has relevance for you may mean absolutely nothing to someone else. It is these things that will make this room uniquely yours. And by using these things you will complete the process of creating your bedroom sanctuary or refuge.
Decorating the Bedroom – It’s the Little Things that Add Up
Let’s look at small things that you can add to your décor that will help you to relive your fond memories over and over again.
- Using sea shells, large and small, will remind you of fun times on a beach or in a beach locale. From one small shell on an end table beside a rocking chair that you can fondle as you daydream, to a basket of shells, to a large conch shell used as a planter can be incorporated into your bedroom decorating.
- Use ribbon to remind you of the ribbon you used to tie in a special little girl’s hair – you may even have the actual ribbon used, which would make it even more special. The ribbon can be used as tie-backs on curtains, tied into a bow and attached to a picture frame, tied around a vase, draped over a mirror or across a dresser.
- A special handkerchief owned by a favorite relative can be neatly pressed and folded and placed on your dressing table. Or that same handkerchief could be starched and pressed flat and framed to be hung on a wall. You could also attach it to a piece of fabric and make a throw pillow to be admired or hugged at will.
- Crocheted doilies can be mounted into round wooden quilting hoops and hung on the wall creating a lacy overlay against a colored wall. Or these doilies can be mounted into picture frames and hung adding a beautiful touch to your bedroom decorating ideas.
- A piece of baby clothing can be nicely pressed and mounted into a shadow box. You can add a pacifier, small baby shoes, special little blocks or anything else from those special times when your child was young. These can create a wonderful arrangement within a shadow box that can then stand up-right or be hung on a wall.
- Printer box trays can be mounted on the wall and will hold many small knickknacks that will remind you of times gone by. These trays can be painted to match any bedroom decorating color scheme.
- Pictures of loved ones scattered around can bring back memories with those loved ones. Pictures can be stored in albums that can be casually “strolled” through reliving a time and place. Or they can be framed and scattered here and there. Pictures are often the only things that we have to remind of us our four-legged family members – but what fond memories they can evoke.
- Small gifts from people we have loved will remind us of the giver and the times we have shared with them.
- Decorative hat boxes can be stacked. These boxes can be used to store letters, pictures, and assorted things that will allow your mind to travel to other times and places.
- A childhood toy – yours or your child’s – can be displayed in whatever manner you choose. A teddy bear can often share a chair with you.
- A piece of a relative’s jewelry can be displayed for you to look at and remember.
As you can see, many small things can be used throughout your personal sanctuary and retreat that will allow you to escape over and over again and revisit those people, places, things and times as often as you choose. Create an environment that will provide numerous opportunities to take mini-vacations where you can renew your body, soul and spirit.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 2011 Cindy Murdoch
Is your bedroom:
Your Future is Waiting! Do you feel you have great information or stories to share with others? Sign Up Here. . . It’s quick, easy and free to join HubPages!
Bedroom Decorating – Your Refuge, Your Sanctuary - discusses the importance of having a bedroom we can escape to in order to refresh and revitalize ourselves.
Bedroom Decorating - Choosing a Color for Your Bedroom - The color you choose for your bedroom could have an impact on how well you are able to sleep and relax.
Bedroom Decorating – Creating a Refuge and a Santuary. - using a thematic approach to bedroom decorating to create a room that provides a place where you could be relaxed and refreshed.