3 Steps to Fix Dry Rot | Fix Wood Rot
Wood Rot RepairsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Show Us Some Love - Click the "Like" Button Up At Top of the Page!
Fixing Dry Rot | Wood Rot Step 1
The first step in fixing dry rot | wood rot is to determine the root cause of the damage. Here are the things to look for:
Look for any potential water damage:
- The water could be coming from weather, roof or plumbing leaks
- Water can pool in a visible area or seep into undetected areas.
- If you see water not draining properly, and if there is any wood coming into contact with that water, then there is a good chance for dry rot.
Look for pest activity:
- Are there any ants or termites or any other infestation near the rotted wood?
- If you detect or suspect insect infestation call in an experienced framing carpenter ASAP
- An experienced carpenter can confirm you evaluation and get the right pest control technician involved
Fixing Dry Rot | Wood Rot: Step 2
The next step in fixing dry rot | wood rot is to eliminate the cause of the problem:
- First and foremost, stop the water and moisture from returning. This can be done by redirecting the water, sealing any leaks, repairing any faulty plumbing or by using retaining structures (concrete or pressure treated) to keep the water away from the wood.
- Any infestation by termites or carpenter ants should be tackled by a professional pest control technician. These pests are notorious for building their nests in hidden and undetectable locations and often a simple spraying will only kill some visible insects while the hive or nest keeps producing more of the wood-destroying creatures
Fixing Dry Rot | Wood Rot - Step 3
The last step in fixing dry rot | wood rot is to replace the damaged wood
- If the problem is just beginning, you can simply reinforce the existing structure. By temporarily reinforcing your whole structure and replacing only the damaged wood, you can save yourself a lot of heartache and money. The damaged areas need not be wholly rebuilt if the problem boards/lumber can be isolated and replaced
- If the problem is too far gone, replacement of the entire damaged deck, deck stairs or other structure may be necessary
Other Hubs and Articles
- San Francisco Remodeling Contractor for Kitchen Makeovers
Remodeling a room, doing a kitchen makeover or a home renovation can be a daunting task. Each project has so many decisions to make; and it can feel like the most challenging decision is which materials to...
- San Francisco's Dry Rot Doctor
M and L Construction has been providing general contractor services to the Greater San Francisco Area for over 10 years, with quality craftsmanship and professional courtesy.
- Good Neighbor Fence
You might have asked yourself, "Can I install a fence both myself and neighbor can be happy with?" The answer is, " YES!" In San Francisco there is an affordable, popular fence style that both you and...
- Wood Fence Replacement Cedar Fence Repairs Install Fencing
It is time to consider fence replacement when: You are sick and tired of having to worry about fence repairs You realize that this time, the band-aid solution of a simple fence post repair...
- My Experiences - How I Learned to Escape Home Mortgage Foreclosure Trap
This is a place where you can tell your story or learn from the Foreclosure experiences of others. Bank foreclosure of your home is one of the worst crises you and your family will ever have to face. ...
- Photo Quiz - Antique Car Hood Ornaments
Test your knowledge of antique automobile hood ornaments. See how many of these classic auto hood ornaments you can identify. Anyone who appreciates the art of the automobile should take a look if only for the great hi-res photography.
San Francisco CPA Services
- San Francisco CPA Service & Tax Accounting
It's Your Money - keep more of it!