jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What's the best (and easiest) way of making a footpath through my lawn?

1. Moon Daisy profile image85
    Moon Daisyposted 8 years ago

What's the best (and easiest) way of making a footpath through my lawn?

Our garden consists of quite a long, narrow lawn.  I'd like to make a footpath going down the middle of the lawn so that my daughter can ride her scooter up and down it.  (Grass isn't great for scooter riding!)  How easy would it be to do this myself and what's the best way of doing it?

2. calfcreek profile image61
    calfcreekposted 8 years ago

Unfortunately, the best and easiest are not always compatible. :-)
    For it to last you need to have some type of border, a weed barrier and then the topping. Depending on where you live you might get crushed granite for the topping. It looks nice, it's easy and maintenance free and it has a nice sound as you sashay to the garden. I'm not sure if it would be nice for the scooter. It will depend on the size of the wheels. I would dig out the lawn about 4" deep at the width desired. Lay down a good weed barrier, don't get cheap here, it will save you a lot of labor in the future. Then line each side with brick running vertically. Then fill with crushed granite or other simple topping. It may need some tamping to get a good smooth surface and compact the material for longer lasting service. Now, get a glass of iced tea and sit in the swing and watch the little tyke enjoy the newfound route.

3. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

You can make a footpath yourself easily by using Pavers, or if you have more time, bricks. Check out your local Tile Company, as they may be able to deliver them to you.  If you chose a large sized paver you may only need to lay two side by side. A quick way is to rake out the grassed area you're going to lay over and relpace with sand, as a base for them.

4. EOCedeno profile image52
    EOCedenoposted 8 years ago

use sand and gravel for the footpath. it will be good for the scooter as well.

5. RNMSN profile image91
    RNMSNposted 7 years ago

one two left three four right one two three four/ one two/ three four!! all over and over again watch r lee ermie he will get you a walkin a stright or a curved line in no time lol