Help, please with a damp problem!!

1. profile image46
    Kathryn Innesposted 8 years ago

Help, please with a damp problem!!

Hi we own a house that was built in the 60's. The external walls are very cold to the touch (on the inside) and in our smallest bedroom, we seem to have a damp issue. It's an end wall, so no guttering etc. There is a water mark down the wall, all the way along the whole wall and we have had to wipe water droplets off the ceiling, and we have wiped down the wall several times.. There are little bits of black mould and the room is exceptionally cold, even though we have the heating on. Please can you advise on this, as we are at a standstill with what to do!"

2. JON EWALL profile image73
    JON EWALLposted 8 years ago

Dear Kathryn Innes
    Sounds like you have a possible leak in the roof, condensation due to lack of insulation, mold is a major problem  to have someone inspect. THE SITUATION.
    You should contact  someone to  do an on- site inspection to determine the cure to your problem ,
    Check your phone book     home inspections  general contractors  ,   remodeling contractors    for assistance asap.

Good Luck   Jon E
    Check my newsletter  www.chicagoconsultant.com
      articles on  ezines and hub pages

3. frankpennea profile image55
    frankpenneaposted 8 years ago

This is a tough one to diagnose especially without seeing the home. It could be any number of things or any combination of several. The obvious place to start is with the roof.If it is leaking that must be corrected first either by roof repair or if necessary a re-roof. The next thing to address is the condensation. That would make me think you are under insulated or not insulated at all. Condensation occurs when cold meets worm. with proper insulation that situation doesn't occur. Another possibility is drafty windows and the last thing I can think of is grading.This one alludes even a lot of pros. If the ground around the outside of your home is pitched(or sloped) toward your house instead of away from it,ground water can lay against the wall and will allow the water to leech through

working