jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Any recommendations for potted plants in damp weather?

1. sofs profile image83
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Any recommendations for potted plants in damp weather?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

All tub and container grown plants need to be treated, in some respects, like bonsai, with an open, free draining compost mix, see here:
    Add a good drainage layer of 1/4 inch gravel at the base, this and the free draining mixture will help protect plants from waterlogging.

3. sofs profile image83
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Thank you.. Mick I will look it up. I really need some as this weather is going to stick around for some time and I have to have plants!

4. Pro Design Source profile image60
    Pro Design Sourceposted 7 years ago

The most important thing to consider is your soil and the container the plants will be growing in. If at all possible, use a container with drainage holes. If that is not possible, layer larger rocks then smaller rocks on the bottom of the container before putting your soil mix and the plant in. If your plant is not a bog loving plant, use a soil that is light and fluffy - not claylike.

5. Jimut profile image83
    Jimutposted 4 years ago

Yeah! you can choose vegetables, like tomatoes. Other plants like coleus, pothos  can be grown well in damp weather.
    You can also complement you damp weather by giving your plant a loose soil by mixing quit a extra amount of sand in your potting mix.
    For all these you will require a good amount of light, just keep it in mind.