jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What do you do with the sunflowers after the flowers have died and they are so h

1. profile image48
    lkpoteetposted 7 years ago

What do you do with the sunflowers after the flowers have died and they are so heavy they about...

to break off?

2. Nick B profile image82
    Nick Bposted 7 years ago

I suspect by this question, you haven't heard of sunflower seeds

3. sofs profile image82
    sofsposted 7 years ago

The flower head is filled with seeds use them to grow new plants. use them in your bird feed, use them as a snack , drying the flower head take out the seeds and use them.

4. profile image48
    lkpoteetposted 7 years ago

yes, smartass~but do i get the seeds from the large flowers when they die or before and do I just tear down the long stalks?

5. Isabellas profile image74
    Isabellasposted 7 years ago

I usually take and cut off the sunflower heads when they are drooping over. That way the birds can get the fill they want and I still get some to use for the next year.

However, cut them off with enough of the stem left so that you can tie them up. That way they will not be laying on any surface which could allow some pests to get to them. Then you can hang them up in a garage or other area to dry for a little while. That makes it easier to get the seeds out of the head.

Usually I let them dry for about a month and they can easily be pulled out or you can bend the head and break them out. (this way tends to be more messy though)!

Hope this helps you out.

6. profile image48
    mangoman52posted 7 years ago

Cut them off, put them in a protected place away from rodents and dry them for a couple of weeks. Use them for bird seed over the winter. Or, you can simply cut them off and hang them outside now for the birds to eat right off of the heads.

7. tonymead60 profile image92
    tonymead60posted 6 years ago

I leave mine where they are, the green finches and other garden visitors soon deal with them.

8. oceansnsunsets profile image89
    oceansnsunsetsposted 5 years ago

These are some tips I learned and gathered over the years I have grown sunflowers.  With one little seed, you can reap so many benefits, as can the wildlife around you.  I also share some of the sunflowers we have grown and enjoyed in photos. read more

working