Is it a good idea to keep some kind of weapon for home defense? If so, what shou

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Earl S. Wynn profile image79
    Earl S. Wynnposted 13 years ago

Is it a good idea to keep some kind of weapon for home defense? If so, what should I buy/make?

2. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 13 years ago

Earl,

I personally do not think having weapon at home is safe or 100% helpful, so I would say it is not a good idea. This is just me, but people choose what works for them.

3. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

Considering the hideous crimes against families of late I would say yes, a weapon is needed today. The home invasion crimes have become more violent and deadly. It has gone beyond the "Oh my goodness! A robber!" stage. Some of these crimes are inhumanly sadistic. There isn't enough space here to offer details on type of weapon nor on home safety. Google the research. Just remember that owning a deadly weapon isn't a game. Weapons that merely disable, like bear spray, are inadequate against a gun which is probably what the criminals have.

4. profile image49
    thisissaraposted 13 years ago

i am of the belief that there should be a gun or weapon of some sort in every home. because of the higher home invasion rates in the country. if you decide to go with a firearm, head to your nearest gun store and ask them to help you find the right fit for a hand gun. anything else would be useless against a blitz attack. if there are chikldren in your home, make sure the weapon is out of reach, hidden, somewhere they will never find it. when they are old enough, tell them where it is, what its for andhow to use it. be safe.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

cookingdiva isn't being very realistic at all, but you should be realistic about today's media driven sick society and lack of culture.  You can't beat a semi auto shotgun for home break ins and self defense.

6. Donna Janelle profile image66
    Donna Janelleposted 13 years ago

I think it is a good idea to have a weapon for home defense, and that a gun is also probably the best answer. I don't think it is a good idea to have loaded guns around young children though, so having a gun may not work for everyone. I read somewhere that it is a good idea to sleep with your keys nearby so that if you hear anyone entering your house you can set your car alarm off. It may not do any good, but it could also scare the intruder off and/or alert your neighbors that something is going on at your house. Not exactly a weapon, but I still think it's a good tip. smile

7. ashlyn39 profile image57
    ashlyn39posted 13 years ago

yes,i think it should be a gun (pistol)!

8. mcrawford76 profile image89
    mcrawford76posted 13 years ago

I think the safest alternative is a monitored security system. I would hope that most invaders would flee when the alarm goes off. As far as weapons go, I feel that a 12 gauge shotgun is the most effective, user friendly weapon for home defense. Buckshot will not travel through walls like a handgun slug, and all you have to do is point and click. Plus, it covers a wide area so it's hard to miss.

P.S. Any gun in any home where children may EVER be should have a trigger lock if it is not locked up entirely.

9. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

a gun or a tazer. either one works but with a tazer at least when the police get there you won't be in trouble for killing someone.

10. brandonord profile image59
    brandonordposted 13 years ago

haha I recommend a Axe handle without the metal Axe head. for two reasons it is built to be held with weight so sits comfortably in your hand and also there is nothing illegal about it, you could have it in your car and be pulled over. Very efficient I have heard ! smile

11. lifeinprime profile image65
    lifeinprimeposted 13 years ago

No. Never. 100% NO. 

While I support the right to bear arms, I do not recommend using pistols, shotguns, and other weapons for defense.  The odds of the weapon accidentally going off or into the hands of a child are far too great!

I would suggest getting a security system from one of your local alarm companies.  Life is too great to be accidentally shot--or worse.

12. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 13 years ago

I have a permit and carry a Springfield XD 9mm pistol with hollow-point ammo everywhere I go. I also have an alarm system in my house.

The key is to use the alarm system to buy you time to call the police. Hopefully it will scare off an intruder. If you must shoot, make sure you know what you're shooting at.

The most important things to owning a gun for personal protection? Safety, training, practice at the range, and pray you never have to use the weapon except at the range.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

13. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

My first line of defense is the good old home security system. What brand do I use? German Shepard. Any cop will tell you, most burglars or would be home invaders tend to skip homes with dogs inside. A German Shepards loyalty, tenacity, and just plain intimidating looks can most likely thwart any plans to enter unlawfully.

Second line of defense, well, I won't give any specifics, but they go boom.

14. eltravose profile image60
    eltravoseposted 13 years ago

Martial Arts is the best concealed weapon and can be taken anywhere.

15. ThomasE profile image69
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

I've always thought that having a gun is a nice theoretical way to defend your home, but unless you carry it with you all the time it is not much use.

I mean, a burglar isn't going to give you a lot of time to get your gun.

Most likely the burglar will invade your home when you are entering it or leaving it, to do something like putting out washing or going to the shops.

Alternatively, they might invade your home when you are asleep.

You know, even with all their training, over a third of soldiers either miss or don't fire in their first engagement with an enemy.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think learning to shoot is fun, I just think that a martial art is more likely to be useful unless you carry a gun all the time. Basically because theieves are not thick, and will not give you advanced warning that they are going to attack you.

16. Sites like dx profile image60
    Sites like dxposted 13 years ago

i own a real badass crossbow and i love it! it reaches about 80 metres smile

17. JCBS profile image61
    JCBSposted 13 years ago

If you are into melee then a sword or a bat would do fine. If you are more into a range attack sort of defender then i would suggest you get a gun. Don't get a pistol as the reload time will slow you down.

18. skisy profile image88
    skisyposted 13 years ago

I guess the likelihood in the US of someone breaking in already being armed is greater than in the UK. But from my point of view, in the UK, it is a bad idea to intentionally have a weapon with intent to use against someone breaking in to your house, it is also illegal in this country to pre-emptively carry a weapon with intent to injure or kill such a person. Also it is very possible, especially if the perpetrator is unarmed to begin with that it would back fire and result in more severe injuries occurring to yourself...so probably not worth the risk.

Though you can act in self defence if there is an actual fear for your life, so as long as there happens to be a baseball bat...or perhaps a handy mace or sword (though this would probably be considered excessive force) in the same room as yourself and the perpetrator...

Anyway, I'm definitely not suggesting the same applies for the US, I realise the situation concerning this is potentially quite different, but in this country (UK), legally and physically, you'd be better off not preparing an arsenal of weapons for home defence...though naturally I keep a handy set of shurikens under my pillow just in case!

19. profile image50
    smattomposted 13 years ago

Buy a nuclear bomb from the French. That'll larn 'em.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)