I live in Sacramento in a Section 8 Senior apartment and I am originally from Sa

  1. profile image47
    California Jereposted 7 years ago

    I live in Sacramento in a Section 8 Senior apartment and I am originally from San Mateo.  I am...

    74 yrs. old, sound mind and do not look my age and I would like to get back in the Bay area as soon as possible...is there available places for me?  I foolishly did not save for old age and I have SSI and Social Security only.  If possible how do I transfer...I hope you understand what I am asking.


  2. composed profile image68
    composedposted 7 years ago

    Hi there--

    All you have to do is contact the housing authority who handles your current Section 8 benefits. Inform them that you are looking to move to the Bay Area. If you have what is called tenant-based assistance, they have to contact the housing authority that covers the area you wish to move to and, as far as I understand, that housing authority has to issue you benefits. If, however, you have project-based assistance, meaning that your Section 8 benefits are attached to your housing unit as opposed to you, then you would lose your benefits if you move. This does not mean that you cannot reapply for benefits in the Bay Area, but you will most likely be faced with waiting lists, etc.

    I hope this helps. And best of luck!! I hope it works out for you.

  3. smcopywrite profile image28
    smcopywriteposted 7 years ago

    i am not certain if every state has special provisions for your section 8 housing but in many states instead of signing up for a waiting list for major cities, sign up for a suburb.

    the suburbs waiting list a are a lot shorter. if you have a suburb that is influential, they may have a really short waiting list because they dont have the need in their community for section 8 housing.

    i havent been to the bay area in years and i am certain a lot has changed, but do they have some affluent suburbs that this may work for you?