jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do I determine what is causing my Kirkland washer to not drain or spin?

1. profile image47
    Donna136posted 7 years ago

How do I determine what is causing my Kirkland washer to not drain or spin?

I have a 2002/03 Kirkland top loader. I ran the washer with a full load. The next day I went to put the clothes in the dryer and the tub was still half filled with water at the rinse cycle. Thinking some one had stopped the cycle I reset it at the beginning of the rinse cycle and added more softener to the center container. The washer filled up but would not continue. I tried changing cycles, but nothing happened except a slight humming sound (as if the machine was trying to start) and then a click (like a safety shut off). After wringing out clothes and bailing water, I'm thinking I could fix

2. mcrawford76 profile image82
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

Washing machines are rather simple creatures, you have a timer, a motor and a transmission. If I were to guess by your description I would say that the motor is bad.

3. SteveoMc profile image73
    SteveoMcposted 6 years ago

That washer is a direct drive Whirlpool.  If the humming is the result of a motor running, the problem is most likely a coupler (a twelve dollar part), if the humming is due to the motor not running, then it is a motor (more expensive, around $125)  both repairs are fairly simple.

4. profile image47
    Donna136posted 6 years ago

My brother looked at it and pushed on the agitator (nothing was working before that), filled it with water and got it to cycle through to the draining but said it sounded like it was draining but very little water was actually being drained. The water that remained was dirty with some "crud" floating around as if something backed up into the tub. When I turned it on again at the rinse cycle the hose jerked somewhat and sounded like it was trying to drain but couldn't. After that I couldn't get any of the cycles to work. He didn't have time to open the machine, but will come back when he has time. What do you suggest he look for? Thanks for your help. Donna