jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How far is too far, when defending your home?

1. Brett.Tesol profile image50
    Brett.Tesolposted 6 years ago

How far is too far, when defending your home?

In the UK now, people who hurt/injure burglars are often prosecuted and made to pay compensation. Some even end up in prison, for defending themselves and family members against someone INSIDE THEIR HOUSE and possibly ATTACKING there family.

How far is too far? Do you think that homeowners should be allowed to defend their property and family with any force necessary?

2. danielleantosz profile image74
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

absolutely.  In Florida we have a law called the Castle doctrine.  It allows you to defend your self against anyone who enters your home (permitted or not, but I think the point is that even if you allow someone in your home but they try to attack you you are allowed to defend your self)  While I see that it could cause problems, any one should be allowed to defend themselves in their own home. It can get a little sticky, for example shooting someone in the back, which theoretically means they were moving away from you and posed no threat.  But, what if you shoot someone in the back as they enter your child's bedroom?

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Yes, I do think a home-owner should be allowed to use any force necessary to defend their homes and their families.  Move to Texas - sorry, that's the best advice I can give you.

4. Max_Power profile image60
    Max_Powerposted 6 years ago

Hi Brett,
    When actually under attack (or threat of an attack), any force should be allowed to defend yourself and loved ones. People who say otherwise most probably have never been in a real fight for their life. It is messy and chaotic, with a lot of fear and shock involved. Your mind goes completely blank and you are operating on adrenaline and auto-pilot. There is absolutely no time to think clearly or rationally.
    So I think it depends on the situation - there is a difference between the above, and catching someone before cold-bloodedly beating and torturing them. That's not ok - although if they had just finished raping and torturing your kid I'm pretty sure most people could plead 'temporary insanity'!
    In some cases the justice system needs to exercise a bit of commonsense, and put  themselves into the shoes of the real victims.
    Just my two cents smile

5. Naomi's Banner profile image80
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

When you think about this your heart tells you that you have every right to defend what is yours and especially your life. The real question is how do you go about doing that and what is legally acceptable?  If I am simply defending my home then I might walk away and call the police but if my life was endangered at the same time then their iife may be at risk.

6. Gail Anthony profile image60
    Gail Anthonyposted 6 years ago

I agree with Wesman Shaw.  Texas allows you to shoot to kill even if the person is on your driveway.  I agree with that sentiment and that's why I walk in the street.

working