jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I have a little oak tree growing in a pot. He had two leaves, now he only has on

1. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

I have a little oak tree growing in a pot. He had two leaves, now he only has one ...

If anyone has any tips in helping my little friend survive in the pot that he is in until the spring, I would greatly appreciate it? Thank You and all the best!

2. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Oaks typically lose their leaves in the winter as they store energy in their root ball. The leaves and many more will return in the spring. In the meantime... put the pot in a sheltered area so that pot and roots do not get overly cold or freeze.  Sometimes (if pot is small enough) you can put it in a garbage bag and then fill the bag with straw.

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Is it a decidious oak, if so it will naturally lose its leaves.  Even in a pot it will need to grow outside all year, ther is no such thing as an indoor tree.  Have you ever seen a tree grow naturally indoors.
    Trees growing in pots tend to be less vigourous than trees growing in the ground and will require some sort of protection from the elements, some shade in the summer, frost and wind protection in tthe winter, there is no need to protect from snow as it insulates from other extremes.
    Try a good book on bonsai, anything by  Peter Adams, his books are readilly avaiilable and should give enough tips.  He now, I believe , lives in the USA and has a good following.
    Alternatively see some of my bonsai hubs or the others on site to find some help.

4. Infobrowser profile image75
    Infobrowserposted 6 years ago

I have succesfulyy grown two apple trees from seed. One 'Crips Pink' (about 4ft) and the other 'Pink Lady' (about 1.5 ft) - two of my favourite varieties. The smaller they are the more care and attention they need. I initially had about 4 of the smaller ones but a 'mildew' problem appeared on them because the atmosphere in my front porch was too humid. (I had kept them in there for the winter to give them a mild temperature which they seem to appreciate). This problem seems to be more common with fruit trees though and I managed to fix it eventually with an antifungicidal spray, but since I took to long to do this only one had survived. I will be prepared this time round!!

I've heard on a gardening program that keeping pots next to the walls of your house outside keeps them as much as 2 degrees C higher than anywhere else in the garden. Also, in winter they still require a little water, but be carefull not to over do it. Just a little amount of moistness is usually good.

The roots may need room for quick expansion in the spring but there will be little growth if the weather is cold. Frost is the biggest threat I would say. There are covers you can buy for plants that allow light to permeate yet keep some warmth in. If you choose to keep it outside, next to any windows might be ideal because of the heat they can emit from in the house.

...Got carried away there with my long ass answer. Hope it was useful.

5. samsons1 profile image77
    samsons1posted 6 years ago

go ahead and set the tree outside in the ground.  It will do much better on it's own and after all, oak trees are use to a natural environment as opposed to a pot, inside...

6. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

I want to thank everyone for the answers to my question. I will for sure plant the tree outside when spring comes, it`s just as a thin as it is now I did not think it would survive the winter. Thus, I kept it inside.

When the snow melts and the ground de-freezes, I will certainly put it outside.

Many thanks for the answers. Cheers!