jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Did I plant my tulip bulbs too early? I live in Texas and have just seen green

1. Dog Advisor profile image80
    Dog Advisorposted 6 years ago

Did I plant my tulip bulbs too early?  I live in Texas and have just seen green break through soil.

I am a beginner/dabbler gardener.  I really enjoy the success of pretty patio box flowers and my climbing purple bean stalk each summer.  I live in Texas (this may change answers) and I have attempted to plant Tulip bulbs. They were planted in late November or very early December. (someone told me that was when to plant)  I am not a patient gardener and it has been killing me that I have to wait till March to see the fruits of my labor.  My question is, I have just seen green stalks breaking through the potting soil.  Did I plant too early?  Am I destined to fail my 1st attempt with Tulips?

2. profile image0
    Derdriuposted 6 years ago

Plants grow in response to specific heat, light, moisture and temperature levels. The blue bonnet state may have experienced an even milder winter than usual this year. Winter 2011-2012 may offer the correct combination of environmental conditions which tell bulbs to start growing.
    Here, in Virginia, this year's winter passes without snow and with atypically sunny warmer weather (knock on wood). This week I see people and businesses already preparing the soil for spring planting.
    Good luck with your first tulip garden in Texas!

3. jaswinder64 profile image60
    jaswinder64posted 6 years ago

we learn through our experiences, so that's what you did in gardening.

You are not fail with your first attempt with Tulips. I hope they wil grow and

you will be happy to see them.

4. Dog Advisor profile image80
    Dog Advisorposted 6 years ago

Thanks jaswinder, they are really starting to grow now.  As long as I can get through this short little month, really just 2 more weeks, there will be no chance of a freaky freeze.  I am very excited to see my results.

5. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

It sounds to me like you are right on track.  Enjoy the blooms in a few weeks.