jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I have 30 tulip bulbs left over from fall, can I plant them now? (zone 5)

1. Robie Benve profile image98
    Robie Benveposted 6 years ago

I have 30 tulip bulbs left over from fall, can I plant them now? (zone 5)

Do you know of a cool way I can make them bloom indoor?

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

Great question! I don't have the answer ;(     I just bought some tulip bulbs from a co-worker. Being sold to raise money for his daughter's school class, 3 empty planter pots in the front, I'm gon'na give it a try. So, I am eager to follow this question.

3. jaswinder64 profile image59
    jaswinder64posted 6 years ago

I think, you can plant tulip bulbs outside. They will be fine.

4. Golfgal profile image85
    Golfgalposted 6 years ago

Yes, though unless they have been in temperatures under 40 degrees for about 60 days, they will not bloom.  Spring bulbs have a genetic instinct to begin the process of producing bloom after experiencing the cold of winter in preparation for spring.  If you plant the bulbs now, they may shoot forth leaves and that is ok.  The foliage will gather nutrients from exposure to sunlight and to feed next seasons bloom.  So go ahead and plant.  Instead, You could also force the bulbs inside by putting them in the refrigerator for about 50 - 60 days and then planting in a container inside where it is warmer.  Put in a sunny window and delight in tulips in the summer.  When the bloom is over, plant outside and let nature do its thing for next year.  Plant each bulb at the depth of 1 1/2 times the size of the bulbs.  I love bulbs, they are so low maintenance and very dependable.  Note that bulbs love phosperous.  I save all my egg shells and when dry crumble them in my garden over my bulbs.  Free fertilizer.