My tulip bulbs only have one small leaf and are not blooming. How can I fix it f

1. Shawn May Scott profile image58
    Shawn May Scottposted 5 years ago

My tulip bulbs only have one small leaf and are not blooming. How can I fix it for next year???

Everything came up early this year and I notice that my tulip bulbs are suffering some unknown fate. More than likely they have been eaten by squirrels. What can I do over the summer to strengthen the bulbs so they will bloom again next spring??? smile

2. sjwigglywoo profile image73
    sjwigglywooposted 5 years ago

There is still time for them to bloom as yet. They do not start to flower until mid April til June. It depends on whether they are an early flowering variety or late. Also it depends on how long the bulbs have been in the ground. Try applying a liquid or granular fertilizer every spring.

3. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure where you live and that makes a difference because Tulips need to overwinter in freezing weather.  Here in Texas, we have to pull them up and put them in the refrigerator.  That was too much trouble for me (you also have to be careful not to store them next to certain fruits and vegetables), so I only planted them once.  On all bulbs, it helps to strengthen them by cutting the dead flower heads off after they bloom, but letting the leaves naturally die out (that is how the plant gets energy in the bulb for the next year).  You can also fertilize them once.  Another possibility is that they did get some fungus or other microbe this year, which may mean they are not going to grow again.  Pull a few up and see if they look rotted.

working