jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you have any tips for having a garage sale?

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image88
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

Do you have any tips for having a garage sale?

2. ArtzGirl profile image79
    ArtzGirlposted 6 years ago

Location, location. location.  Certain neighborhoods in the San Diego area are much better areas for garage sales than others.

I lived in one neighborhood that was a very hot garage sale area to find neat, fun, cool eclectic items.  I found a number of great garage sales while living in this area.

I held a garage sale in this area of town and had a great response.  There were tons of people who dropped by and looked at my things and I probably sold about $200.00 worth of random items that I was selling.

---------

Later, I moved to another area of town that was closer to a lot of antique stores, so the draw to the garage sale was not as big of a success as the other location.

However, the thing that I learned from this 2nd Garage Sale was that the items that I photographed and placed on Craig's List drew the exact price that I was asking for-- rather than featuring them at a garage sale and having people try to run the price down to a minimum.

Craig's List can take a little bit more time-- because you are having to write a blurb about each piece that you are selling and photographing individual items, but you can retrieve a LOT more money-- if you do this over a period of several weeks, rather than an instant garage sale.

-----------

If you are going to hold a Garage Sale-- make sure to run an ad in Craig's List with the time of the event, otherwise, you will have people stopping by at 7 am trying to catch you before you open.

Leave yourself plenty of time--
    If you are moving and wanting to clear garage sale items, then make sure that you hold this a month in advance.  If there is rain/bad weather one weekend, then you can reschedule to another weekend.

---------

Mark your items with stickers that have similar prices.  This will help people  find the prices that they want to stick to for their budget.

3. Thrifty Lady profile image91
    Thrifty Ladyposted 6 years ago

ArtzGirl has some great tips!  I'll just add a couple more:

1. Hang brightly colored signs up directing people to your street and highlighting your yard.  Even if you have advertised through a newspaper or Craigslist, it needs to be easy for people to find your house.  Signs also help drive in unplanned guests and street traffic.
    2. Make sure that all items have prices and that the prices are easy to see.
    3. If you have any clothing, try and put it on a hanging rack.  This makes it a lot easier to sort through the items and can sometimes help get a higher price.  If you don't have a rack, you can run a rope or clothesline between two poles to make a good substitute.
    4. If you are truly looking to unload, don't overprice your items. 
    5. Dust and clean your items if you have time to spare.  Preparing for a garage sale can sometimes take up a lot of time.  So, for my sales, I try and have cleaning supplies available and then make my rounds to clean up items when traffic is slow.

4. Deborah Brooks profile image78
    Deborah Brooksposted 6 years ago

Location is the key. and advertising in the local paper and have everything ready the night before. I always got a cooler full of bottle water and sodas and sell them for $1.00  each. setting up with lots of tables. if it's on the ground it is so tacky... good luck with your yard sale.

5. EclecticFusion profile image79
    EclecticFusionposted 6 years ago

Tips on how to make your next yard sale a success! read more

6. privateye2500 profile image44
    privateye2500posted 5 years ago

Here are all the tips you will need!

http://privateye2500.hubpages.com/hub/G … le-Success

7. Sharyn's Slant profile image94
    Sharyn's Slantposted 5 years ago

Hi Brian,
    Where have you been?  Haven't seen you lately.  I hope all is well!
    Here a very detailed hub I wrote about a year and a half ago on Garage Sales.
    http://sharynsslant.hubpages.com/hub/Sp … ARAGE-SALE

working