jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are your obligations if you know the neighbors are allowing a lot of under

1. The Fridge profile image75
    The Fridgeposted 5 years ago

What are your obligations if you know the neighbors are allowing a lot of under age drinking?

2. Shawn May Scott profile image60
    Shawn May Scottposted 5 years ago

This is a very touchy area and you need to consider what is going to happen to the family if you contact the authorities. Remember if teenagers want to drink they will do it no matter what no matter where. Is it better for them to be out on the street or in a park, stagering home in the dark and possibly alone??? Like I said a very touchy area.

3. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 5 years ago

I'd say that I would be compelled to do something if they're doing it outside the home, I would call the cops. If it's going on inside the home, I doubt I'd even know of it unless anyone would be dumb enough to not speak about it to me or others in the neighborhood. Things happen for a reason and it's possible that you calling the cops when you see kids outside a home drinking could be the catalyst for a positive change in their lives and them getting more attention (duly needed) from their parents.

If the parents know about it and don't care to take action that is a whole different issue where social services would probably need to be called. Unfortunately, some parents would never know what they're kids were doing illegally if not for somebody calling authorities. Some people refuse to listen to neighbors no matter how polite and tactful they are. Once this is done however, many parents will step up their efforts and monitoring of their kids and their kids' friends.

4. taw2012 profile image61
    taw2012posted 5 years ago

i would call the cops if it is happening outside my home. But before calling cops i would consider to speak to them and stop it so as i would not lose the relationships with the neighbors by calling authorities.

5. teyeger82 profile image77
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

It needs to be reported.  You will be doing all parties involved a big favor although it certainly will not be seen that way at first. 

There is truth in the statement that they will drink somewhere but by condoning the practice, the neighbors are teaching the underage drinkers that laws do not matter.  Will they be able to stop one of their guests from getting in a car and driving off?  What if some sort of incident occurs at the neighbors' house?  Are the neighbors just letting them drink or is there some other unacceptable behavior occurring?  Are the neighbors thinking about the liability issues they could face? 

If you turn a blind eye, depending on where you live, you could be in trouble as well if it was determined that you knew and did not report it especially if these are young people that are under the age of 18.

Do what is right and report it.  Maybe you can do so anonymously.