jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can you help an indoor herb garden thrive?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image82
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

How can you help an indoor herb garden thrive?

What herbs would you choose to cultivate indoors, in a low-light or limited sunlight setting? What planting methods would use?

2. chspublish profile image81
    chspublishposted 5 years ago

Most herbs I've ever grown have been for the outdoors and in full sun. However, lemon balm, parsley and mint may do well in a shaded area, but I'm not completely sure how well they would thrive indoors.
    Sorry I can't help further as I'm inclined to suggest ideas from what works best.
    If there is any chance your herb box could go outdoors, it would be best and then use the shade tolerant ones.

3. TravelAbout profile image73
    TravelAboutposted 5 years ago

I grow cilantro, basil, hot peppers, and oregano all winter.  I plant seeds and place the pots on my widowsill that gets a lot of sun.  I don't water as frequently as when I plant them in the summer months and place outdoors.  Sometimes it seems like they actually do better grown indoors during the winter months!

4. Jojosi profile image60
    Jojosiposted 5 years ago

Rosemary, parsley, basil and many others can successfully grow indoors but should not be completely without sunlight.  You should be able to move them to a sunny spot each day for their daily share  of  chlorophyll for good health.
    As to how to plant, prepare your pots or bags with well composted soil and make a hold in the middle where you place your plant, water lightly as too much water can kill the plants.

5. Beth-Woodard profile image74
    Beth-Woodardposted 5 years ago

its easy to start a herb garden, have a read at

http://beth-woodard.hubpages.com/hub/St … erb-garden