jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)

What colour should I paint my kitchen?

1. janikon profile image87
    janikonposted 5 years ago

What colour should I paint my kitchen?

I am in desperate need of colour help, my roommate and I are not agreeing on colours. I hate citrus colours and she has some aversion to deep blues. Our kitchen is a narrow galley kitchen with bright white cupboards- I wanted something dark to offset the white.

2. flashmakeit profile image69
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

Well You may like a charcoal blue kitchen with a white trim around the windows and boarder.

3. handymanbill profile image82
    handymanbillposted 5 years ago

You make it too dark and it feels like a gloomy room to be in. So beware of painting dark colors. Also they are hard to cover over if you decide that the color is too dark.Use a lighter shade.

4. HarperDavis profile image59
    HarperDavisposted 5 years ago

How about slate gray or a deep royal color, like blue or purple?

5. lola oyedotun profile image78
    lola oyedotunposted 5 years ago

When i wanted to paint my kitchen, i had this problem choosing a colour, i finally painted it red. i love the way my kitchen looks now.. it now has this powerful and contempoary look.

janikonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was really thinking about red, but I'm so reticent to use reds in a small space

6. LVidoni5 profile image82
    LVidoni5posted 5 years ago

Dark colors make small spaces look even smaller, so you probably don't want to go too dark. Kitchen colors should be fresh and lively, try an earthy blue or green. Look outside and try to draw in one of the colors you like in the trees or sky. Also, consider wether or not the color compliments your counter-top or backsplash... the professional at your local paint store are often a good rersource in recommending popular color options.

7. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 5 years ago

I think that because you have white cupboards, a really good color might be a peach color or a deep yellow.  In the past, I had painted my bedroom a canary yellow and left the ceiling white & it looked beautiful.

Hope this helps you!

8. gkerosi profile image73
    gkerosiposted 5 years ago

Make it plain white. A sign of peace for those who are preparing the food. It become appealing to go into such kitchen

9. By His Way profile image58
    By His Wayposted 5 years ago

Burnt Orange or a darker/deeper hue of a citrus color.

Best of both worlds: bright but not neon.

10. arb profile image80
    arbposted 5 years ago

I'd paint it invisible. Never shows the mess and you never have to touch up!

I can never find invisible paint at the store, send me some?

11. profile image55
    qtquetta843posted 5 years ago

I think that your kitchen should be painted in a bright color like yellow, lime green, or turquoise. I think that you should bring some warmth into the kitchen than just besides the food you're cooking. Hope this helped smile

12. Nellieanna profile image81
    Nellieannaposted 5 years ago

WHOSE kitchen did you say it is?  I thought I saw the first-person-singular-possessive pronoun "MY" in the question, written by YOU, - didn't I?  But then - came the first-person-PLURAL 'our' later in the explanation.  You may have to do some negotiating and selling of your idea, which seems to make good sense, - to offset the white with a darker shade of some color.  Citrus colors are pretty pale and could be really boring, unless there's limited light in the narrow galley, which could benefit from brighter shades of whatever color is chosen.

If the roommate has equal 'say', sounds like he/she gets to vote and it would be wise to be fair at the onset, unless you are OK with paying the rent by yourself later on.  This may set a pattern in your relationship, so more than a color may be involved.

But if you already do pay the rent, then you could take the driver's seat and proceed with something dark, but avoid both citrus and blue hues.  Gray or taupe are actually good wall choices.  Accent colors can change as the mood (or whosever's preference) happens to change, as is likely from time to time.  Then you're stuck with a definite wall color, but if it's more neutral, the sky's the limit for accessory colors. 

Good luck.

I have convinced her to change the kitchen but I am looking for colour choices, I really like grays but most of our apartment is gray. I really want it to be brighter, I am loving all the answers to my question this is giving me so many ideas.

13. GmaGoldie profile image78
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I would recommend viewing some vintage porcelain pieces on eBay. Find a pattern that you both like and pick up the colors from there. From what you are relaying, it sounds as if a deep forest green might be a good compromise. For me, I love crimson but all color depends and the interior light and how large the space is that you are painting.

I love constrasts so the white with a deep color I can see your point. Please send us photos of the final decision. Inquiring minds need to know.