jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What to do next when landlords don't take action to your requests for repair and

1. daisynicolas profile image79
    daisynicolasposted 6 years ago

What to do next when landlords don't take action to your requests for repair and they raised rent?

Repairs are mostly aesthetics and/or prevention that have been requested every month.  A good apt. in a lovely neighborhood that accepts big dogs without a pet deposit is rare to find, thus the cling to stay.

2. TravelAbout profile image71
    TravelAboutposted 6 years ago

Did you try putting a letter to them in writing and letting them know that you are looking out for their property by prevention and up keep.  You could suggest to  them that you would be willing to do what is necessary with a reduction in a months rent for your costs and efforts, that is if you are capable.  Or else suggest that you will hire someone and deduct the cost from rent.  As far as the rent increase, I would politely let them know the economy does not support an increase right now and neither does your budget.  If all fails, is there somewhere else you would be willing to move that will take the pup?  If so, you can then tell them that you will have to find other accommodations and see if they have a change of heart, but be ready to look elsewhere if they don't bite.

1. daisynicolas profile image79
      daisynicolasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've done all your suggestions.  I've emailed them every month.  I threatened them when a problem came up with safety and security and they fixed that. Upkeep and maintenance is not their priority, ONLY emergency issues.

3. rochbjohnson profile image37
    rochbjohnsonposted 6 years ago

By its very nature repairs are meant to fix things that are broken. If you want aesthetics like adding more flowers to the front walkway then this is not a repair. This is probably why your input is being ignored. You have already stated that you have a good apartment so they landlord is definitely providing a quality place for you to live.

If all your requests are aesthetics nor or they requests to fix bona fide problems then you should not be comnplaining about your landlord. Of course you are free to find another quality apartment that has more flowers around the sidewalk which would be pleasing to you. After all you do not have a deposit that you will forfeit by moving out due to the lack of aesthetic changes that you would prefer the property has but the landlord has not deemed viable.

1. TravelAbout profile image71
      TravelAboutposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't think up keep and maintenance is the same as aesthetics such as planting flowers.  Changing filters, yearly inspections of the heating system, tub and shower re-caulking would be examples of up-keep.  Usually provided by the landlord.

2. daisynicolas profile image79
      daisynicolasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your suggestion.  But aesthetics on my part is not missing.  I actually have a charming interior coz of my creativity. Yes, TravelAbout is on target. Repainting, recaulking, recarpeting, even changing mailboxes coz these aren't closing.

working