Why are my cucumbers all growing like this?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Why are my cucumbers all growing like this?

I have grown them for years and never had them all end up like this. They are in all sizes but they are still all this shape. What is wrong with them?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6908989_f260.jpg

2. samsons1 profile image60
    samsons1posted 11 years ago

What's the rain situation where you live?  Cucumbers are largely water.  Is there a lot of moisture or a little.  How long since its rained?  Could there be too much...

peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's been pouring rain every afternoon here.

3. Joe Macho profile image83
    Joe Machoposted 11 years ago

Is powdery mildew an issue with your cucumbers? It can also be a cause of stunted fruits.

Wow I feel a little stupid! That powdery stuff on them is mildew? Are they safe to eat?

2. Joe Macho profile image83
      Joe Machoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The fruits should be just fine to eat. Maybe a little less flavorful, but still safe to eat. It does look like powdery mildew, but without seeing a closer up picture, it's hard to say definitively. Here's an article for PW and its removal: http://www

4. Insane Mundane profile image59
    Insane Mundaneposted 11 years ago

Perhaps the seeds came from some plants that crossbred with a melon of some sort.

5. Nukemm33 profile image60
    Nukemm33posted 11 years ago

I would have to agree with Joe. It seems that your cucumbers have been affected by common mildew. This will happen when there is prolonged moisture on your vegetables (especially of the squash variety). The mildew is only surface deep so if you scrub them thuroughly it will come off, but the integrity of the cucumber has already been compromised and it might not taste the same as some areas will be denser and some more porous.

1. Insane Mundane profile image59
      Insane Mundaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is it common for mildew to turn ALL of your cucumbers into round melons?  Hmm, this is new to me...

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cucumbers also love high humidity (as opposed to tomatoes). They also are not prone to blight (see comment further down by person who thought they were). Completely different plant family so blight hits tomatoes and potatoes.

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Looks to me like you thought you had bought a long variety of cucumber, when in actual fact you had bought a round variety of cucumber. Even if the seed packet said different mistakes do happen, so contact the supplier in case other people have made the same complaint.

7. heavenbound5511 profile image64
    heavenbound5511posted 11 years ago

Mildew can take a whole garden out if not controlled- treat them for blight. Yellow leaves on cucumbers and tomatoes are signs of blight also. Last year blight took out many of my plants. Also stuff grown from hybird seeds are more prone to get blight.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Blight does not affect cucumbers, and blight on both tomatoes and potatoes is seen when dark brown patches appear on the leaves, followed by mould, stems breaking etc. Yellow leaves not a known sign of blight. High humidity and lots of rain a cause.

2. heavenbound5511 profile image64
      heavenbound5511posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cucumbers can get blight-http://homeguides.sfgate.com/treat-cucumber-blight-30388.html,
      So many different plant diseases....If you have noticed tomato leaf spots and the lower leaves turning yellow, you may have tomato early blight-http://www.gardeni

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Sorry I agree in hindsight that cucumbers can get blight, but it is a different strain to tomato blight which only effects solanum crops, (which I don't think cucumbers are, but does include potatoes, aubergine, and members of the nightshade family.)

4. Insane Mundane profile image59

I've been gardening for years and I still refuse to believe that a little mildew turns your cucumbers into melons!

5. peeples profile image93

I want to add that we have now eaten 2 and they taste just fine. They even have a little sweet taste to them.

6. Insane Mundane profile image59

If the seeds came from plants that crossbred with a melon, that would also explain the "sweet" taste...

7. Randy M. profile image74
      Randy M.posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with mistyhorizon2003, the fungi that cause blight are different species from the fungi that cause powdery mildew.  Yellow leaves on cucumber leaves may be a sign of poor nutrition, water stress and powdery mildew.  You can't mistake mildew.

8. EuroNinila profile image70
    EuroNinilaposted 11 years ago

They're retarded cucumbers:  cucumber disease!  Lol Sorry about your cucumbers, I would guess mildew too.

9. SpeedyBoy profile image56
    SpeedyBoyposted 11 years ago

I think your cucumber's plants are in lacking of nutrients. Or your sowing cucumber seeds was not good i.e. not hydride.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)