jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)

Why are my cucumbers all growing like this?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Why are my cucumbers all growing like this?

I have grown them for years and never had them all end up like this. They are in all sizes but they are still all this shape. What is wrong with them?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6908989_f260.jpg

2. samsons1 profile image79
    samsons1posted 5 years ago

What's the rain situation where you live?  Cucumbers are largely water.  Is there a lot of moisture or a little.  How long since its rained?  Could there be too much...

peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's been pouring rain every afternoon here.

3. Joe Macho profile image94
    Joe Machoposted 5 years ago

Is powdery mildew an issue with your cucumbers? It can also be a cause of stunted fruits.

Wow I feel a little stupid! That powdery stuff on them is mildew? Are they safe to eat?

2. Joe Macho profile image94
      Joe Machoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The fruits should be just fine to eat. Maybe a little less flavorful, but still safe to eat. It does look like powdery mildew, but without seeing a closer up picture, it's hard to say definitively. Here's an article for PW and its removal: http://www

4. Insane Mundane profile image60
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

Perhaps the seeds came from some plants that crossbred with a melon of some sort.

5. Nukemm33 profile image59
    Nukemm33posted 5 years ago

I would have to agree with Joe. It seems that your cucumbers have been affected by common mildew. This will happen when there is prolonged moisture on your vegetables (especially of the squash variety). The mildew is only surface deep so if you scrub them thuroughly it will come off, but the integrity of the cucumber has already been compromised and it might not taste the same as some areas will be denser and some more porous.

1. Insane Mundane profile image60
      Insane Mundaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is it common for mildew to turn ALL of your cucumbers into round melons?  Hmm, this is new to me...

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image94
      mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Cucumbers also love high humidity (as opposed to tomatoes). They also are not prone to blight (see comment further down by person who thought they were). Completely different plant family so blight hits tomatoes and potatoes.

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image94
    mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago

Looks to me like you thought you had bought a long variety of cucumber, when in actual fact you had bought a round variety of cucumber. Even if the seed packet said different mistakes do happen, so contact the supplier in case other people have made the same complaint.

7. heavenbound5511 profile image79
    heavenbound5511posted 5 years ago

Mildew can take a whole garden out if not controlled- treat them for blight. Yellow leaves on cucumbers and tomatoes are signs of blight also. Last year blight took out many of my plants. Also stuff grown from hybird seeds are more prone to get blight.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image94

Blight does not affect cucumbers, and blight on both tomatoes and potatoes is seen when dark brown patches appear on the leaves, followed by mould, stems breaking etc. Yellow leaves not a known sign of blight. High humidity and lots of rain a cause.

2. heavenbound5511 profile image79
      heavenbound5511posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Cucumbers can get blight-http://homeguides.sfgate.com/treat-cucumber-blight-30388.html,
      So many different plant diseases....If you have noticed tomato leaf spots and the lower leaves turning yellow, you may have tomato early blight-http://www.gardeni

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image94

Sorry I agree in hindsight that cucumbers can get blight, but it is a different strain to tomato blight which only effects solanum crops, (which I don't think cucumbers are, but does include potatoes, aubergine, and members of the nightshade family.)

4. Insane Mundane profile image60

I've been gardening for years and I still refuse to believe that a little mildew turns your cucumbers into melons!

5. peeples profile image94

I want to add that we have now eaten 2 and they taste just fine. They even have a little sweet taste to them.

6. Insane Mundane profile image60

If the seeds came from plants that crossbred with a melon, that would also explain the "sweet" taste...

7. Randy M. profile image86
      Randy M.posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with mistyhorizon2003, the fungi that cause blight are different species from the fungi that cause powdery mildew.  Yellow leaves on cucumber leaves may be a sign of poor nutrition, water stress and powdery mildew.  You can't mistake mildew.

8. EuroNinila profile image87
    EuroNinilaposted 5 years ago

They're retarded cucumbers:  cucumber disease!  Lol Sorry about your cucumbers, I would guess mildew too.

9. SpeedyBoy profile image57
    SpeedyBoyposted 5 years ago

I think your cucumber's plants are in lacking of nutrients. Or your sowing cucumber seeds was not good i.e. not hydride.

working