What are the pros and cons of latex paint?

1. arizonataylor profile image82
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

What are the pros and cons of latex paint?

I live in an area with a harsh climate.  My exterior paint fails quickly.  A painter recommended latex paint rather than the oil-based paint I've been using, but that runs contrary to everything I've heard.  What are the advantages of latex paint.  Would you use latex paint in a hot, sunny environment?

2. ttagpine profile image81
    ttagpineposted 5 years ago

There a few reasons for Latex paint. It's water based so it's easier to apply. It can be brushed on, rolled on or sprayed on. It will dry quickly, & is waterproof once it's dry. Plus, if you don't wait to long, It's easy to clean up the mess with soapy water.
    You already know about oil based paint. Over all, oil based paint is a little bit better protection for the wood but, It never truly dries. In hot weather, it may get soft & dust in the air may stick to it, making it look dull or dirty.
    There are problems between the two types of paint. First, they don't mix, & you can't paint one over the other. So, I have to ask you, did you remove all the oil base paint first? If not, the latex won't dry correctly & if it does dry, it will start peeling pretty quickly. You may have to try finding a primer that will work with both types of paint.