jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you use your garage?

1. Tileclick profile image64
    Tileclickposted 5 years ago

How do you use your garage?

Is it a cosy home for your car? or would you rather utilize it for storage? I am thinking a small private gym might be good but is that a waste of some brilliant space?

Be great to hear your views and experiences.

2. Beege215e profile image66
    Beege215eposted 5 years ago

Home gyms are great, you can work out even when you can't get to the other gym. The problem comes when you get bored doing your workout alone and after two or three weeks that gym in the garage is sitting idle and the space is waste. If you make it a gym go the extra step and make it a gym you can love, one that can motivate you, encourage you to use it.  Add music and videos, make it bright colors and lots of light.  call your friends and invite them to use your gym with you.  Because trust me, you doing a treadmill or stairmaster all by your self with only your earbuds is going to get old really quick.  Other than that, just park the car in your cosy little garage and go for a run in the park. 
    I converted my garage to a home office, complete with lighting,plants, colors,sound and computers and I use it all the time.

3. Deborah-Diane profile image80
    Deborah-Dianeposted 5 years ago

We fit both of our cars in our garage ... barely!  It is also full of items we boxed up when we downsized to a smaller place.  Someday I need to go through all those boxes and get rid of the things we don't need.

I have known people who used their garages as a gym.  It can be a nice use of the space!

4. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

ha ha! I live in a duplex and our neighbors and I share a garage. We generally partially use it for storage, but they mainly use it for the keg when they throw parties.  I don't even know what is down there! One of my last roommates moved out and I was bummed I wasn't going to have any pots and pans any more, so he went down stairs and brought up a huge box which on the side said "Nicola's Pots and Pans" (I'm Nicola). I didn't even know I had things down there!

5. jaydawg808 profile image91
    jaydawg808posted 5 years ago

Our garage used to store cars. Nothing else in the garage except that cars.

6. J. Biaza profile image61
    J. Biazaposted 5 years ago

This is interesting, as I have never really thought of this question.  Depends on where you live.  However, with the price I paid for my house, $$$$, I really did not buy it to have my car be cozy.  Certainly the price per square footage included the garage. 
    I used to live in snowy weather and curse the mornings that I did not have a garage.  Now I live in a mild climate and a garage is not that important. 

So based on that, give me a great family room or gym any time!

7. Tileclick profile image64
    Tileclickposted 5 years ago

Hey guys, thanks so much for all your answers, it is an interesting one as different people all use their garages for different things! I love the idea of a home gym but I really get the thing about asking other people to come and use it too or else boredom could very quickly set in!

Storage is at a premium in most modern houses so this is also worth a consideration, hmmmmm it is a tricky one, will let you know what I come up with!

working