jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

What is wrong with my plant?

1. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

What is wrong with my plant?

We water the plants regularly and they are treated for bugs, what else would cause a plant to wither and die? They are topiaries and face west and receive light during the late afternoon, don't know if this is a factor or not.

2. MakinBacon profile image83
    MakinBaconposted 5 years ago

It could be from being near heat from forced air or a lack of humidity. Depending on the topiary type, direct sunlight can hurt them, such as in the case of ivy topiaries. Rotating the plant can help so one side of the plant isn't damaged against the other side.

Overt temperature fluctuations can also hurt a topiary, so placing them in a room with consistent temperature levels is important (with the exception of the typical cooler night temperatures).

Misting a topiary will also help combat drying out. Using an evaporation method can also help in that regard. Again, it depends upon the specific type of plant you're growing.

teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is all great information for indoor topiary plants; however, mine are outdoors.  Forgot to mention that.  I think your idea about temperature fluctuations could be a factor though as they are in 85+ heat most of the day.

3. dorleneB profile image61
    dorleneBposted 5 years ago

So sorry about your topiaries - how long had they been growing there?  Were the stems/trunks black? It could be root rot, or a fungus. Any dogs or cat using them for their bathroom?  They may have just come to the end of their lives.   Treat the area before replanting, and mix in lots of topsoil/mulch.

I am going to check the trunks for this and treat the area.  Thanks!

4. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Do they have good drainage and aeration? Be sure that they never sit in a pot or saucer of standing water. Also, only water when the soil is dry below the top 3". ( Unless the topiaries are ivy which appreciates misting on a regular basis.) Juniper and other topiary shrubs do best w/ deep occasional water. No more than once per week.

I am concerned about the drainage.  The sandy soil may be a factor as well.  Thanks.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image97
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sandy soil would provide good drainage. I didn't know they were planted directly in the ground. Typically they need deep but infrequent water if they've been there for 1-2 years. Yes, you could have a soil-borne disease that may or may not be curable

5. Alistair Olver profile image69
    Alistair Olverposted 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the problem and I will take a look.

Thanks for the offer, Alistair.  I think I have found the problem.  We had our home pressure washed and the chemicals used drained off into this area.  We have fed and waterered them and they are turning green once again.

6. francisassissi profile image59
    francisassissiposted 5 years ago

Please also check the season factor. This is a very important thing to be considered.

I have also tried reading some books about energies in living things, some said that you should take care and talk to your plants sometimes. smile)

Francis, my hubby mentioned the season factor and it may be part of the reason for their brownish look.  Aa I mentioned above to Alistair, they are turning green again.  We believe the pressure washer service used a harsh chemical that affected them.

Closed to reply

working