jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Does anyone have suggestions for growing eggplant from seed?

1. freespiritdhippie profile image62
    freespiritdhippieposted 4 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions for growing eggplant from seed?

I'm your average urban gardener. The past couple of years I have grown tomatoes, jalapeƱos, bell peppers, etc. on my apartment patio. This year I'm trying eggplant for the first time. While all of the other seeds have sprouted successfully, the eggplant has not.

It's been about 14 days and still no sign from my eggplant seeds. Does anyone have experience or tips for eggplant seed germination?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7832690_f260.jpg

2. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 4 years ago

I tried growing eggplants last year and I had about 6 pots of it and it was successful. It had lots of flowers that turned into eggplants. The only thing,  is I could not remember how many days before the seeds germinated. I grew it in my greenhouse because I know eggplants grow in hot places like the Philippines where I come from. I grew it from seeds which I bought from Poundland shop here in England. I like this vegetable because it is very nutritious and easy to look after.

freespiritdhippieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the temperature is my problem... They might be too cold!

3. Act 3 profile image91
    Act 3posted 4 years ago

Some seeds are slow to germinate. I'm not sure about eggplant, but I do have some eggplant seeds in peat pots now, along with tomatoes and peppers. The tomatoes are germinating, but no eggplant or peppers yet. It's been 10 days. I'll let you know.

freespiritdhippieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! Likewise if mine finally do pop up.

2. Act 3 profile image91
      Act 3posted 4 years agoin reply to this

First of about 6 or 8 eggplant seeds has popped up after about 12 days. No sign of the others yet. I have them indoors under a grow light.

4. ShootersCenter profile image73
    ShootersCenterposted 4 years ago

If you'll read the package on your seed, you'll find eegplant takes something like 120-180 days, where other garden plants are usually 45-60 days. I start my eggplant inside in early Dec., the plants are about 18-24inches now and I'm just getting the first signs of flowers.

working