jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Natural ways to encourage field mice to get away from the house?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Natural ways to encourage field mice to get away from the house?

When living in the country (very rural), is there a way to keep mice from getting into the house and keep the field mice further from the house? I see them in the yard. How do I make them go away other than the cats.

2. Theophanes profile image96
    Theophanesposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. Field mice are everywhere because they are good at adapting. There is an old wive's tale that says if you plant mint around the entire perimeter of your house they will stay away... but I cannot say whether or not this is actually effective. What I can say is the best way to keep mice out of your house is to make it unwelcoming to them. By this I mean keep all your food stored away in hard to get places. For instance if you have a dog, put all his food in a Tupperware bin, it's harder to get to than an open bag. You really should do this if you buy seeds for outdoor birds too as well as any bulk human food items. Field mice love seeds and they love a free dinner. They can eat almost anything - including the wax that candles are made of - but when given better or easier options (like the acorns in your back yard) they would prefer to go towards that.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have heard that oil of peppermint will work.  Heard it on one of those natural-cure- type of shows.  Apparently mice cannot tolerate peppermint. Might be worth a try and certainly safe around kids and pets.  The person on the show suggested using it on cotton balls placing them in different areas around the house.

4. ShootersCenter profile image74
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

We put a feeder about 40yds from our hunting camp next to the firewood, added a bucket of water. It helps keep all the wildlife over near the same area, seems to work most of the time. If they get too bad, we break out the traps.

working