jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How do I grow this cactus?

1. robhampton profile image96
    robhamptonposted 4 years ago

How do I grow this cactus?

My wife got this cactus for mothers day. Does it require much water or sun or what?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7991762_f260.jpg

2. DreamerMeg profile image91
    DreamerMegposted 4 years ago

Most cactuses prefer sun and dry conditions. That one actually looks like a graft, that is, one cactus grafted onto another, which you wouldn't  normally see in Nature. Sometimes the flowers on these are artifical decorations, but other times, the flowers are real.
    It should really have come with some instructions from the supplier. In the absence of those, keep it fairly dry and let it have plenty of sun.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I think all cactuses require a lot of light just given their origin.  Too much water isn't good for a cactus. You can let them dry out between waterings. So a window with lots of sunshine, water when dry ought to do it.

4. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Sun, Sun, and more sun with a side of water once a week and you should be fine. We have tons of them growing in the yard and we never water them. They get watered when it rains. They require almost no work. They are a great gift because it is so hard to mess up. Just don't water every day and it will be fine.

1. robhampton profile image96
      robhamptonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was kind of thinking along the same lines since cactuses (cacti?) survive in the desert, but still wasn't quite sure. Hopefully it will grow well!

5. cintakesteeth1 profile image59
    cintakesteeth1posted 4 years ago

From my years of experience tampering as a' Queen Green Thumb Gardener' I have found that you will get your best results growing a cactus by LEAVING IT ALONE!! A cactus is a man of few words, a loner if you will, or a he drinks alone kind of guy. They absolutely do love their sun but require very little of anything else, including water.  Put them in a larger pot every year or so depending on their growth, kiss them to heaven (not literally) and enjoy another one of those things that make you say hummm ......

working