jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How much sun does mint need to grow?

1. BWD316 profile image84
    BWD316posted 5 years ago

How much sun does mint need to grow?

I just bought a peppermint plant and a orange mint plant, my first herbs and mint plants! I've read a lot about them online and in books, especially how they are invasive! But what seems to confuse me is the amount of light they need? I've read anything from full sun to full shade...I have two places I can put the mint, both in pots, one in the back of the garden that only gets a few hours of sun at best or in a garden by a rose bush with at least 7 hours of sun...any suggestions on where to put it?

2. rutley profile image75
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

They do better in full sun......very invasive is for sure....Keep them in pots if you can..Keep pinching them back for full pots.

3. backporchstories profile image80
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

I love my mint and invasive is correct.  They will do well in either condition, but grow more robust in the sun.  Currantly I have lemon balm, spearmint and traditional mint.  From one tiny plant, they have over the last two years, become over 100 plants.  Keep them trimmed back and sometimes it is required to pull some so to tame the growth, if planted in the ground.  Never plant them next to a garden of other plants.

4. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Mint does best with 6 hours of sun per day.

5. sarahmoose profile image78
    sarahmooseposted 5 years ago

Mine is indoors in a pot, and gets about 6 hours a day. It is growing well, but isn't getting too big, too fast - which is ideal for me, as I have other plants there too!

6. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 4 years ago

My mint plant is planted beside a fence and its been there ever since we moved in our home 13 years ago. All I do is trim it now and again as it grows so much I took some and planted on a pot and it grow robust too. I put it in full sun and it grew as well. But I think they prefer part sun and part shade. I don't think it matters where they grow. Try putting it in your kitchen window and see what happens.

7. BWD316 profile image84
    BWD316posted 2 years ago

I've made a hub for this question, which also have some other tips and suggestions http://bwd316.hubpages.com/hub/How-Much … owing-Tips