jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

What types of lawn grass or ground covering plants grows best in shaded areas?

1. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

What types of lawn grass or ground covering plants grows best in shaded areas?

We have a tall maple that casts a great deal of shadow over our back yard. We are thinking of trying to seed the area with some type of grass that will grow in shade, and if not grass then an attractive ground covering species. Any suggestions appreciated!

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years ago

Dichondra will grow in partially shaded areas. It is a ground cover, creeping, low profile and does not need as much water as a grass lawn. It is a great substitute for grass lawns.

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis, thanks for the suggestion. I will check out more on Dichondra!

3. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8949353_f260.jpg

You could consider Lemon Balm. If trimmed well it will grow very compact and tight to the ground. It can tolerate moderate walking on. It also spreads quickly. The plus side is you can also use it to add to tea, treat bug bites, put in your salad, freshen your bath water, and so many other things. I've used it several times for hard to grow spots and it's always worked great.

Thanks peeples! That is a mint, too if I recall correctly. Very attractive.

2. peeples profile image95
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Mint and lemon balm look and act very similar. You could do both if you have some sun spots under the tree! Good luck!

3. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks peeples. I'll have to try finding and planting some of this myself.

4. parrster profile image82
    parrsterposted 3 years ago

Found this link that may help. Is it a moist or dry shaded area?

http://www.greatgardenplants.com/index.php?pageId=1076

Oh my, what a load of info! Thank you parrster.

working