jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Do you cut your own grass and if so how often?

1. flashmakeit profile image69
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

Do you cut your own grass and if so how often?

2. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 5 years ago

Yes, and it all depends on the time of year. Right now when there's still a bit of rain, it's about twice a week because the grass grows fast. During the summer and early fall, depending on how hot and dry it is, it may only need it about every 10 days. My husband loves the "golf course" look of a well-manicured lawn, so our indicator is usually when it starts looking just slightly shaggy.

flashmakeitposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree, if you fertilize the grass every year and like it to look perfect you probably would like to cut it twice a week in the spring.

2. wychic profile image88
      wychicposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We never have fertilized it smile. It's mostly native grasses though, so it takes advantage of every bit of moisture to grow like crazy.

3. profile image0
    Team Leaderposted 5 years ago

Hello flashmakeit,

No, I don't. There is a prison in the village down the road. They usually run programs for the young convicts. One of the programs is to take them to our estate for a day and let them sort out the grass and the trees. it is supposed to help them learn to take responsibility for things.

Your 'Team Leader'

1. sarahmoose profile image80
      sarahmooseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like this idea. Shame they don't do it over here, my lawn is very neglected!!

2. flashmakeit profile image69

That is a helpful program.

4. Jojosi profile image59
    Jojosiposted 5 years ago

How often the lawn is mowed depends on the grass types your lawn is made up of.  High quality ornamental grass can be cut back every three days or so in rapid growth conditions, otherwise the balance of grass varieties can change and longer broad leaved grasses can start to dominate.
    Utility lawns with broader, longer grass types can do just fine with cutting once a week.   Mowing too often or at wrong times seriously degrades the condition and vigour of the lawn.

Thank you for all the useful information

working