jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Years ago, trash compactors were the newest, must-have kitchen appliance. Do peo

1. Rochelle Frank profile image94
    Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago

Years ago, trash compactors were the newest, must-have kitchen appliance. Do people still buy them?

Do you have one and is it useful? What do you know about them?

2. littlething profile image87
    littlethingposted 2 years ago

Yup. I've got one. I like not having to take the trash out every few days. It's very useful, but the bags can be expensive. I don't know much about specific types, or even much of how they work. However, I enjoy mine and would recommend getting one.

Rochelle Frankposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hmm. We thought of getting one, and even planned a space for it when we built our house in a rural area, but with finding ways to reduce recycle and manage and our trash, we don't have as much as we used to.

3. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Ugh, don't mind me, I totally misread the question and gave a nonsensical answer....

Lalalalala.....

Drat, I missed it.

4. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Answering the first question is this answer. My curiosity lead on an adventure discovering sales statistics provided by statista.com. For any that may have interest with a Hub adventure follow this link to the statistics:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/2201 … ompactors/

There will be stats for Disposal Units and Compactor Units. The bottom line is compactors are today flat lined with sales. Beginning 2005 sales were at 122,000 units. That declined until 2012 plateauing at 35K. It has not really risen much since hitting 39K for 2014 and is projected for 2017 at again at 39K.

From that one may speculate there really are few about. The question of 'How useful' is it may be more centered on the 'Why use it'? Both those questions I will be seeking with the possibility of Hub.

What do I know about them is really little except common knowledge for what they do and a two brothers having them at their homes. I really do not know of their habits of how and why to use them. Also, I know using them is merely placing trash within and then pushing a button. I don't even know if you compact several times before packaging it or if once.

I think it would be an interesting hub. I would also like to know if they are hard to clean. If someone tossed in a half eaten piece of fruit would it make a mess?

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I would say no regarding fruit or veggies making a mess. They have a specific bag for compactors. I would question the length of time sitting in it awaiting being full to compact. I dun'no . . . maybe it is a once a week process?

5. Sylvia Leong profile image84
    Sylvia Leongposted 2 years ago

"Years ago" is the proper answer to this question. We have the tiniest bag under our kitchen sink for garbage. We usually use some sort of packaging that cannot be recycled. It'll sit there for 3 weeks before it contains anywhere near enough garbage to take out. There is so much recycling now-a-days! I can't imagine being irresponsible & un-environmental enough to need something like a trash compactor. Come on America, step it up! The world environment needs you to care.

working