jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How did you learn to make repairs yourself?

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

How did you learn to make repairs yourself?

Many people can't afford to pay a repairmen to change toilets, stop leaky pipes, replace wall switches and eliminate mice from the house.
    How did you learn to make your own necessary repairs and updates?

2. Chantelle Porter profile image92
    Chantelle Porterposted 2 years ago

My Dad was in construction so he taught us a lot. Most people are not that fortunate. A friend of mine actually tackled plumbing and electrical by studying You Tube videos. So far so good. Not sure I'd be that courageous!

Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes my father was in construction as well and I had first hand experience. I also used youtubes; they are very handy!

3. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

We learned young, but we continue to learn as products, therefore techniques, change.  YouTube videos and websites do offer great tutorials.

That said, consider bartering with those who know how to do what you need done.  A meal delivered to a handy man's family might work for replacing a wall switch or few.  Setting up or repairing a computer/phone might get leaky pipes fixed up lickety-split.  Mowing a plumber's yard for a month might get a toilet changed out.  Making handmade cards/gifts for a mouse catcher's services or screen door repairman's talents might serve everyone very nicely.  Your talents may be as valuable to someone else as theirs to you!

Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So you used bartering to get the needed repairs?

2. RTalloni profile image88
      RTalloniposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Only very rarely since we were DIY'rs before it was popular.  We are more familiar with other people bartering, but we don't have time since we seem to stay busy all by ourselves… smile

working