jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

What do you think is the biggest headache to owning a home?

1. Efficient Admin profile image93
    Efficient Adminposted 10 months ago

What do you think is the biggest headache to owning a home?

For me it is trying to find an honest and skilled HVAC company. Most headaches come from the HVAC system. I own a condo, but I know there could be many more with a single family residence. What is your biggest headache with owning a home?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 10 months ago

As a sometimes professional hvac service tech, I feel your pain. I'm going to assume you live in the south? Anyway, in Texas where I live, air conditioning never stops breaking down this time of the year. One can work around the clock if they can and wish to do so.

It's why I'm not cut out for that particular job - hvac companies will work the techs 90 and more hours a week all summer. I can't handle that. I freak out after a while.

Anyway, there is a serious issue there. Customers don't know how air conditioning works, and it is even worse when they think that they do know. So a shady hvac company can easily abuse the customer. I've worked for lots of hvac companies, and at least two of them were extremely shady. They'd rip people off without a second thought about it.

I worked the longest for an extremely honest hvac company. Guess what? Customers ripped that company off for the owner being too nice, and letting people pay out the bill over time. They often just wouldn't. Also, people always mistrusted the honest guy, but seemed to be more trusting of the dishonest ones.

As a worker ant, I was always just caught in the middle.

So I think maintenance is always the biggest headache in owning a home. It definitely is when the home is older. Other than maintenance the biggest problems are property taxes, and in older homes, code enforcement.

Efficient Adminposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Yep, I am in North Carolina so I guess it happens in other places too! That's too bad the honest guy got ripped off because I am thinking the honest ones will eventually get all the business over the crooks!

3. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 10 months ago

I agree with you about the HVAC companies. The original cost they quote you turns into a monstrous amount. We just purchased a large home and are fixing the basement to rent out. This will help us pay the mortgage. There is quite a bit of work that goes into preparing the basement with a private entrance separate from yours and finding renters that have no pets, don't smoke, etc. My husband accidentally ran into our renters car because they parked across the street and are usually gone earlier in the morning. So embarrassing and costly. Well, you live and learn, right!! I think the biggest headache is that you never know what might need fixing next and it seems to come at a very inconvenient time.

Elayne I agree, it's the not knowing what will need fixing next. I suppose regular maintenance could help cut down the surprises. Good luck with the basement remodel and finding good tenants.

4. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 10 months ago

EA......LOL, where shall I start?  The need for continual maintenance & repeated necessary repair......despite the fact that you DO maintain!  As soon as you have all the plumbing fixed and the ceilings fixed where there was water damage, you'll realize you need to call the Pest Control guy.  Right about the time the taxes are due or you planned (hoped for) a vacation, the gutters need replacing and the front porch floor is warping.....to top it all off, the mailman tripped on a wobbly step and broke his leg~~~~~Call your Insurance Company!   Definitely "repairs & maintenance!" would be the most frequent headache.....
    Then, as in my case....multiply by 3 rental properties to include tenants with an assortment of various personalities and accept the fact that you can buy Excedrin by the truckload or have a system that's locked and loaded, know your responsibilities & rights by heart, practice tolerance and patience & wear a smile.....even if you're gritting your teeth. 
    As for repairmen...I consider myself lucky.  I have 2 very multi-talented sons who jump when I holler SOS, 2 tenants eager to work for rental discounts and there really isn't any minor task I cannot do myself.  Believe me, my daily fashions consist of paint-splattered jeans, T-shirts and a tool belt!( My Dad bought me my first tool-belt when I was 7...the son he always wanted turned out to be me but WOW did I learn a lot.)

Paula, WOW that is a load to carry!  Being handy with a toolbelt and having an extra 4 people help with the maintenance must help save a ton of money. Good luck with those rental properties - there are a ton of investors out there now.

5. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 10 months ago

The biggest headache for me is determining what is a must do. That leads to money and how to prioritize. Today, I have three headaches with my mobile home in a park. The worst is the small backyard has suddenly this year been overtaken by tall wild grass and weird tall weeds. They both grow swiftly and kinda' overwhelming as I shake my fist at mother nature. What angers me is the ten years I have lived here there was never that challenge (Grrrrr . . .)

Two others are my dishwasher and refrigerator make noise now. Not really terrible or alarming as I cross my fingers and hope. That is where I can empathize with your headache because the next step is finding someone to trust to do a diagnosis and what that cost will be. That will be needed to know if to repair or replace. Another is my carpeting sorely needs replacement, but I can tolerate it.

Tim, for those weeds try spraying white vinegar on them, they should die in a few days. They may (or may not) come back. Yes I agree - it is prioritizing the list and finding the knowledgeable and trustworthy contractors to help!

2. tsmog profile image81
      tsmogposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip. I really don't like using poison. :-( I spend the time to pull the weeds when tall enough and not deeply rooted. The grass I weed whack, but know they will spread.

6. dianetrotter profile image72
    dianetrotterposted 10 months ago

Being @ the mercy of whomever diagnoses your problem.  Once they do the exhaustive repairs, someone tells you that the problem was something else that costs less money.

Ouch! Yes that is why I am so picky about who I hire and sometimes get 2nd opinions, especially if an HVAC technician tells me I need a new system. This happened to me in 2008 and my 2nd opinion said I didn't need a new system. Never had a problem!

7. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 10 months ago

Owning a home is just a ton of constant work. There's always something that needs to be maintained or repaired, or mowed, or weeded, or cleaned.

Strangely, I find the big disasters easier to deal with than the everyday stuff. The HVAC blows out? Call a repairman. Pipe breaks? Call a plumber. But you can't call someone every time you have to deal with little, everyday things like the branches from your neighbor's tree brushing your roof, or tree seedlings sprouting up in the crack in your driveway.

Yes it is constant work. Weeds sprouting in the cracks sounds like one of the easier and cheaper things to deal with - pour some white vinegar on them. In my area HVAC and plumbers are VERY expensive.

8. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 10 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13572290_f260.jpg

Property taxes & overall expense of maintenance/repairs and upkeep. When you're a renter you simply call the landlord when things break down or need to be replaced. It's not your problem.
    Renters spend their weekends playing while homeowners spend their weekends at Home Depot.smile
    Nevertheless owning a home offers a tax deduction and more importantly it can be a potential nest egg investment (if it rises in value) and one decides to sell it.

Oh yes I so agree it is easier to be a renter and let the landlord worry about all the maintenance headaches. On the other hand, a renter is at the mercy of landlord with raising the monthly payment!

working