Is it a good idea to buy a house now?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Sekharg profile image60
    Sekhargposted 13 years ago

I see lot of houses for sale.

I heard interest rates are lowest.

Is it a good idea to buy a house now?

What do you think?

1. profile image0
      ankigarg87posted 13 years agoin reply to this

ya it is good idea to buy a house now.House is the basic necessity donot wait long for it

2. REIMillions profile image59
      REIMillionsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is one of the BEST times to buy if you know how to. You want to buy a home for pennies on the dollar. It ensures 2 sure things. For starters, your going to get a property with equity in it. If I were you I wouldn't buy a property unless I was certain that I could get it for no less than 25% market value, that way if prices drop any further you are still secured.

The next great thing is that your interest rate will be dirt cheap. If you can afford to, pay more on your monthly payments and have the extra applied towards the principal. You have to be specific with the bank and let them know that anything you pay over your agreed upon amount needs to be credited towards your principal. It is quite possible to pay off the mortgage in 15 years versus 30 if you work the numbers correctly.

If you know what your doing this is the perfect time to make a fortune in real estate. Don't wait until after the rescission when the market is back up to hear about all of the real estate investors who made a killing. Learn how to work it and make a fortune now!

Best of Luck to ya ;-)

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure, it literally is a buyers market.  Fortunes can be won during these time periods, if you have the extra cash to spend and can get a good bank note.

However, usually at these times nobody has that kind of extra cash.

So it's a catch twenty two.

4. sha38la profile image60
      sha38laposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An excellent time to buy a house! Many loan  programs out there to take advantage of; interest rates aren't so bad either.

5. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a great idea! Real estate is usually a hedge against inflation and I think we're about to enter a period of very high inflation. Of course there is a chance that you might lose some value in the short term, and also you must consider that RE isn't very liquid and if you're forced to sell you could take a hit.

6. swedal profile image64
      swedalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The low interest rates and low prices do make a compelling argument for a home purchase now. If one takes the time to look at the underlying numbers in housing one would be even more compelled.

In my market place home prices have actually been rising over the last year. Up around 4% on average. Above and beyond that the interest rates which have been historically low have been on the rise over the last month and a half. Where one could have got a loan in the low 4% range in November, now it is around 5% and still getting upward pressure from the bond market.

Statistics show that the bottom of the market is in our rear view mirror. Indicators are that the lowest interest rates are also in our rear view mirror. Inventory in our market is half of what it was 5 years ago. There is a lot of pent up demand from home buyers who have been waiting.

There is a feeling among the home buyers I talk to that they have waited long enough. However there is still a reluctance from banks to lend as shown in their very restrictive underwriting standards. Those will loosen up again to a more normal level and when they do the pent up demand will meet with a lack of inventory to create more increases in prices and interest rates.

Best solution if you are thinking of buying a home in the next few years is to buy now. You will save yourself a lot of money in pricing and interest rates.

7. profile image49
      theokitsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whether it’s much needed repair due to weather damage or a renovation project to add insulation to your home, you need to be certain that your roofer has the experience to get the job done properly.

I've got these valuable details from a blog at http://roofingkansas.org/. Try reading it. Thanks smile

2. Ben Evans profile image65
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

It really depends on why you are buying a house.  If you are buying because you would like something to live in and to own, I think it would be good.  If you are buying a house solely for investment, I don't think it is a good idea.

Now, I am not going to call the market but it could get much worse in some areas.

So a house as something to own and place to call your own is good but as an investment I would say no.

1. fdoleac profile image60
      fdoleacposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this comment.  And, in many markets you can own for less than it costs to rent.

3. Sekharg profile image60
    Sekhargposted 13 years ago

Ben,

Thanks for your reply and insight.
    Whatever you said is true.

There are assumptions like housing market could still get worse.
    Wanted to get a feel from other hubbers.

1. ldupaul profile image59
      ldupaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Think about this for a minute.  Let's say the market does continue to decline another 5-10% over the next year or two.  So, right now we are 5-10% from the bottom.  The trouble is you can only see where the bottom is after we've passed it and begun the climb back up. So if you wait then you've missed it.  We could be at the bottom right now and prices may start to go up later this year depending on the market you are in.  But, if you buy now and prices drop another 5-10% it's the same thing as waiting and buying on the way back up.  You're into your home for the same price and if you buy now you'll have the benefit of tax deduction and locking in a low rate which in all likelihood will not stay this low for years to come.  Jump in!

NH Realtor

4. Bill Manning profile image65
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I wish I had the cash to put down on a house here in Orlando. The homes down here are going for next to nothing, nice ones too.

But alas I do not. I could sell a network of websites to have the cash, but nobody has the cash do do that!  roll

5. profile image0
    Austinguyposted 13 years ago

Now could be a great time to buy depending on where you are.  Interest rates are still very low and housing prices have bottomed in many markets.

6. JR White profile image60
    JR Whiteposted 13 years ago

Agree with Ben Evans. Because there are so many choices in most areas and because interest rates are low, this is a good time to buy a house to live in if you can swing the mortgage payments.  I have to take issue with Austinguy's comment, though. Whether prices have "bottomed" or not, no one can know until they rise and don't come down again.  With the high unemployment rate, no reason for businesses to hire, huge inventories of unsold houses and increasing foreclosure rates, the risk of falling real estate prices continues. Indeed, the risk of another recession is fairly high.

7. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Do you have the money? Do you have a secure job? Then go for it dude.

1. Aras Blake profile image61
      Aras Blakeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's right!

8. montelongoarmando profile image61
    montelongoarmandoposted 13 years ago

Yes. Right now is THE best time to be buying a home. The market goes in waves. Over the past several decades, the market goes down and up consistently. Your house may not have much value at one point, but it's more than likely that it'll raise. Will it raise soon? Quite possibly. But it's best to strike while the irons hot and it's a buyers market.

9. nflagator profile image71
    nflagatorposted 13 years ago

Time is relevant.  Is it a good time?  What time is it?
    At this moment in time ...
    I have money saved for a down payment
    I have a house in mind and it is priced right
    I have been steadily employed for several years
    I believe my job is pretty secure
    I am not currently overly extended financially
    I have a credit history and score that MERITS a great interest rate
    I know the mortgage/insurance/tax payment range I can handle in addition to my current financial obligations

I know people who could say all of the above was true of them, but went through hell trying to get financing.  Worst case was a 6 month process on a refi.  The couple went through a mortgage broker and two potential lenders before finalizing the deal.  The problem came in when the first lender beat down the appraised value of the home.  The buyer paid out $300 for an appraisal that originally stated the property value was 145K.  By the time the lender got through wearing down the appraiser, the value dropped 25K and the lender washed their hands and walked away.  I would have been steamed.  They had to get another appraisal and find another lender.
    Lenders are doing everything they can to assure THEY aren’t going to lose out if they have to foreclose.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t pursue buying a home in the current real estate climate.  I’m just saying have your ducks in a row and be prepared for a possible drawn out battle. 
    Best of luck!

10. Bill Manning profile image65
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I'm really trying to save up for a house here in Orlando. The deals here right now are fantastic. I'm even going to try to sell a set of my websites to get the down payment.

You can buy a condo in the heart of downtown Orlando for $35,000. You can get a nice house with 3 bedrooms for $70,000.

I will be very, very disappointed if I can't get the money up to get one before prices go back up.

Anyone know anything about those "rent to own" house deals? Most are not even legal, but are some legit? hmm

11. Madurai profile image58
    Maduraiposted 13 years ago

Whenever you see the opportunity or necessity and if you are having capacity to mobilise funds that is the right time for you to buy.

You should not analyse much thereafter..

12. BrokerTJK profile image60
    BrokerTJKposted 13 years ago

Yes It Is A Good Time To Buy A Home To Reside In And It's A Good time To Buy Investment Property-If You Are In A Lower Price range You Will Still Have Available Homes To Choose From Via Foreclosures & Short sales-Just Remember That Most Of These Homes Are already Priced Below Market And If They Are Newer Listings You Will Have To offer Close To Or At List Price To Get Your Offer accepted-For Investors Their Are Houses And Condos/Townhomes That Would Make Good Rental Cash Flow Vehicles And Sometimes Are Even Flippable(Is That A Word?)But Investors Should Not Expect Huge Flipping Profits But Instead Be looking To Make $30-50,000 In 4 Months Off One Home And Price Homes Aggressively For a Quick Sale.

13. mortgage-news profile image61
    mortgage-newsposted 13 years ago

Interest rates are still low and homes are very affordable.  So yes, it is a good time to buy but don't expect the value of your house to rise until 2012 as we have not yet hit the bottom of the housing market.

14. marshacanada profile image69
    marshacanadaposted 13 years ago

Yes it is a very good time to buy in some areas like Phoenix or Orlando where house prices are down and mortgage rates are down. But be careful about the price range you buy into. Be sure that you will still be able to make payments and pay off your house when the rates rise.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)