jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How Do You Calculate Income Tax Payable?

1. ngureco profile image85
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

How Do You Calculate Income Tax Payable?

2. janiek13 profile image81
    janiek13posted 8 years ago

The holiday season is upon us, which means those tax returns are begging for your attention. read more

3. theguru-reports profile image59
    theguru-reportsposted 8 years ago

Count up all the money you made this year.  Send it all in.

4. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 8 years ago

Calculate your taxable income on the front page of Form 1040. Subtract adjustments on the bottom of page 1 of Form 1040, Subtract your personal exemptions and itemized or standard deduction as outlined in the instructions to page 2 of Form 1040.

5. lctodd1947 profile image81
    lctodd1947posted 7 years ago

This depends upon what kind of income you have.  Are you salaried, self employed, have schedule B, C, E income?  It would hard to just answer this question without knowing what you employment status is.  It could be rather lengthy also.

If you are salaried, pages 1 and 2 of the 1040 personal tax returns must be completed with schedule A Itemized deductions included, if you have mortgage interest, medical and dental expenses, state and local tax paid, real estate taxes, gift etc.  If your schedule A is not more than the standard deduction; it is usually wise to use the standard deduction.  If there are children you may have child credits etc...you do your  calculations and page two gives you the amount you owe after all deductions.

You can also file short form if you have no deductions... I noticed this was 6 months ago but it was still open.  I hope this helps.

6. Tate's Irate profile image61
    Tate's Irateposted 7 years ago

The IRS website has a some useful tools.  This withholding calculator helps you estimate your tax liability.
    http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/ … ?portlet=2

7. kimbrewaa profile image63
    kimbrewaaposted 7 years ago

You can check out the formula on my recent Hub. Hope it helps!
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Individual-Inco … ndamentals

working