jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can you still file taxes for the year you havent filed? I havent filed since 20

  1. profile image48
    ahahah123posted 8 years ago

    Can you still file taxes for the year you havent filed?  I havent filed since 2004.

  2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

    You can and should file all back taxes as soon as possible.  If it turns out that you owe the government, they are charging interest on the outstanding amount since the day of owing.  The longer you wait, the more interest you may have to pay on anything you might owe.

  3. TheCreditTruth profile image56
    TheCreditTruthposted 8 years ago

    You can,  You absolutely need to use an attorney that specializes in defending people against the IRS though.  Good luck.

  4. KeithTax profile image74
    KeithTaxposted 8 years ago

    I picked up a client this week that hasn't file since 1994.

    You have three years to file if you want your refund. After three years you lose the refund, but still must file. If you owe money, you owe until 10 years after the return is filed. In other words, once you file, the IRS has 10 years to swing at you to collect a balance due before it goes out of stat. You only have three years to swing for your money.

    Now go file those back returns. And send the returns close to falling out of stat certified.

    Oh, and unless there is fraud involved, forget the attorney. Get a tax pro; a CPA or enrolled agent is more than fine.