I paid off my debt according to the payoff amount and I still received a bill f

1. profile image43
    jrspeirposted 7 years ago

I paid off my debt  according to the payoff amount and I still received a bill for279.81   WHY

2. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

They are probably sticking you with some sort of penalties and/or one last cycle of interest (usury) charges.

3. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Agreeing with dabeaner here...there are generally a LOT of "hidden charges" with any kind of credit-related bill, especially if it went overdue before it was paid. For most credit debts, loans, and installment plans, it's generally a good idea to call the day you plan to make payment and confirm the payoff amount with the company. If it's not what you expect, they will be able to tell you exactly what they added and why. Even if it's the exact amount you thought it was, always get the name of the person you talked to and, if possible, get the amount owed in writing (i.e. via e-mail or fax), then you have something to show when they try to tack on more fees. I've had overdue bills in the past that I've called on, paid off to the penny, been told they were completely taken care of, only to get a bill for interest -- and interest on that interest -- a couple of months later. Many of these companies will bleed out every last cent they can, so such precautions might make it a little harder for them to be able to do it.