jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

How do you keep motivated when paying off a large amount of debt?

1. hubba-hubba profile image61
    hubba-hubbaposted 6 years ago

How do you keep motivated when paying off a large amount of debt?

2. tritrain profile image84
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

Especially when the real value is less than the debt owed...

I tell myself that I'm "doing the right thing".

3. Alternative Prime profile image75
    Alternative Primeposted 6 years ago

I think it's more a matter of discipline verses motivation. The kind of restraint a person should have exercised before reaching in the pocket or purse for a credit card to charge a big ticket item he/she could not afford in the first place.

If it's unavoidable debt such as healthcare costs etc. check into the new laws enacted by congress. Possible relief could be just a phone call away.

4. profile image48
    Timeftposted 6 years ago

The reason you need to be motivated is your credit report can tank if you are late or don't make the payments. When you go to buy your next car or house, your interest rate on the loan will reflect your good, bad, or moderate payment history.

5. beestablished profile image58
    beestablishedposted 6 years ago

You should be motivated because every payment you pay is positioning you one step closer to your freedom.  Don't forget is a matter of discipline and perspective.

1. Amberjewell profile image76
      Amberjewellposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My husband and I were $13 grand in debt. When we moved into his parents house, we had a hard time focusing on debt since we had so much extra money we never got to spend.
      We are now down to $5,900 because it feels exciting to see the # lower!

6. Ayaz.H.Sario profile image59
    Ayaz.H.Sarioposted 6 years ago

tell yourself that you are on the road of improvement, the way up as you are not running from it but instead you are fighting it by paying it off.

as Zig Zaglar says: A journey of 1000 miles must begin with a single step.

you have already taken it. way to go !

7. profile image0
    Aysun90posted 6 years ago

"No matter what I do I have to pay the debt. I did a loan, now I must pay it back. I signed a contract, even if it was a wrong move, and I will keep my promise". There are no excuses to not pay the debt. If you don't have the money, than you make it, else keep crying but lack of responsibility and stupidness is payed.

working