jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is taxation merely the legalized theft by the government?

1. teacherfidel profile image73
    teacherfidelposted 6 years ago

If it is wrong for me to steal from my neighbor Joe in order to send my kids to school, or to paint a picture, or to subsidize my tobacco crop, how can it be right for me to do it using the government as my agent? If enough of us vote to take Joe's money for something we want to do, does this "mob rule" make it okay? Is it okay for any purpose, or does it only become okay if it is a "good" purpose? If so, who decides what a "good" purpose is?

2. KK Trainor profile image59
    KK Trainorposted 6 years ago

Taxation is the way governments collect money in order to run themselves. How would a country provide for the defense (military and law enforcment) of it's people without money? How about paving roads, building schools, keeping public parks and prisons running, etc? If you want to live somewhere without any taxes you might not enjoy the experience much.

3. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

Taxes are a necessary evil that enable government to operate. Our problem is we allow corrupt, dishonest, and self-serving politicians to decide how the tax dollars are spent. It may be stupid on our part but I don't think it is theft.

What does qualify as legalized theft is deficit spending. Politicians, on both sides, are spending your children's, your grand-children's, and your great grand-children's financial future right now!. The future generations of your family will suffer because of what today's politicians are doing.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

We are a part of this country which must include government--military for the protection or our country etc.   As part of this country we all contribute to this purpose.  Call it taxation, and it becomes some evil thing.

But as its citizens we have a responsibility to uphold our defenses, provide for the education of our people, this includes courts, prisons, schools, libraries and the list goes on.

As KK Trainor says living in a place without taxes is going to be very unpleasant.  You will have more money in your pocket, yes and you can use it to buy ammo to protect yourself from chaos.

5. profile image45
    debbyrayposted 6 years ago

Im Mrs.Deborah Ray from Atlanta.i know how it feels like to be in stress.I needed a loan badly as a single parents when i lost my husband in an auto crash.I needed this money for the Purpose of business.i could not find anyone,not until a friend directed me to UK NATION loans.i was granted 55,000 Pounds without stress.since then i have promised to advertise for them.If you are in need of urgent finance get to them on ukloanslimited@live.com here is their number +4470359 03933