jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think being a couponer means that you are a hoarder?

1. Robin Pena profile image59
    Robin Penaposted 6 years ago

Do you think being a couponer means that you are a hoarder?

2. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

Not at all.  They are 2 completely different things.  I use coupons (not to buy in bulk - I don't do 'extreme couponing', but just to get a little bit off a grocery purchase I would be making anyway).  I don't hoard anything (we regularly donate things we don't use to Goodwill or we sell them at yard sales).

I think couponing means that you are keen on saving money & probably not keen on spending, but it doesn't have anything to do with hoarding stuff.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Sometimes it looks that way and I think some are. But not all. Some give away the food they get to food banks or extended family.

4. Robin Pena profile image59
    Robin Penaposted 6 years ago

I agree. I think the whole couponers are hoarders thing started with the extreme couponing show. I think that it is smart to have a stockpile, especially in this economy. I have a small stockpile that we live off of. It helps save a ton of money. I also donate or giveaway everything we wont use or have a ton of.

5. LegendaryN8 profile image58
    LegendaryN8posted 6 years ago

I think the thing to ask would be "does being a couponer affect my ability to live safely and meet my basic needs?"

If it does not, then it is probably an issue.

The show "Hoarders" (for example) seems to follow people who are under stress and that stress is expressed through relentless acquisition of objects.  The stress and the habit itself are causing distress to the individual, the family, and possibly neighbors and places of employment.

working