jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can you use coupons and still eat healthy?

1. stephaniedas profile image91
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

Can you use coupons and still eat healthy?

I don't like to buy meat, dairy, or produce that isn't organic, and I try not to eat junk food or packaged foods. Unfortunately, it seems like most coupons are for foods that I don't eat. Is it possible to save money and still eat well?

2. profile image76
    corinnposted 6 years ago

Last night, on "Extreme Couponing," there was a Vegan Lady who only paid the tax on a $700-some order.  Here final total was about $25.  I, personally, don't believe Vegan is the "healthiest" way to eat, since it lacks a lot of protein that would normally be digested from red meat, so I guess it depends on your version of the word "healthy."

3. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

Coupons are usually offers on large produce, such as 25% on McDonalds. I don't think there is a particularly large brand of fruit or veg or there's not enough competition in them markets to offer discounts.

Either way, I don't think I've ever seen a coupon on fruit or veg or anything sparsely healthy. I think you should just watch out for the offers in your local superstores.

4. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Yes, it is possible, though there may not be as many opportunities to save on coupons. I would suggest looking up the websites of some of your favorite brands, as many have on-site coupons that you may not find anywhere else. Other ways to save include local co-ops (i.e. Bountiful Baskets if you're in one of the states where they have it) and group orders from organic distributors.

5. biancaalice profile image59
    biancaaliceposted 6 years ago

It's absoultely possible to eat healthy on a coupon budget. There are a lot of coupons that save on vegan hamburgers, frozen non-meat products, almond milks, granola, low calorie products, buy this product get money off your produce.

The key is to find a newspaper that is going to have all the inserts in them. For example, I live in southern california and my local newspaper only gives me one insert and it usually has coupons only for cleaning products. So I found that the LA times gives all the inserts in my region and now I get anywhere from 3-5 inserts every sunday. If you look at www.sundaycouponpreview.com, it lists all the coupons that are going to be released that sunday. Just a heplful site to see if you want to purchase the paper that weekend for specific coupons.

working