jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

What do those of you who are self-employed do for health insurance?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

What do those of you who are self-employed do for health insurance?

2. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

Have you found an affordable plan? Or do you go without insurance? What about dental?

3. Nancy Owens profile image97
    Nancy Owensposted 6 years ago

For business owners who are over 50 years old, AARP has a great health insurance program. For those who are not, or who wish to find other sources of health insurance, joining a local area chamber of commerce may provide insurance resources.

There are so many insurance options available today, so the key element is knowing what type of coverage you want, and then comparing the rates for that coverage.

Also, it pays to research the company history with the better business burear, and check to make sure the company is stable.

4. helmutbiscut profile image77
    helmutbiscutposted 6 years ago

I have been self-employed for 11 years, but have opted to be covered under my husband's plan.  If I had to get insurance on my own, I would probably look into joining a professional organization that would have a group plan available to members.  For example, in my case, I would join the National Association of Social Workers.  They have many insurance plans available to members, including health, disability, and liability.

5. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Hi Victoria.....My husband and I did extensive research and comparison shopping for the right plan at the right price to suit each of us.  It took a while, but it worked out well.  We purchase our own Health Insurance BC/BS and of course, being retired, we're forced to carry Medicare, which you also must pay for.  We don't have Dental, but because of lifelong proper care and maintenence, we're both blessed with great choppers.  Two to three visits a year for cleaning and check-ups isn't cheap, but we try to plan and budget ahead.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i'm Canadian so health insurance isn't a big deal here. if i was in the hospital, i wouldn't care if i had a private room or anything like that.

7. furniturestorenyc profile image61
    furniturestorenycposted 6 years ago

when i was need it to buy my own insurance, i use Oxford HMO.  its was about 350 per person /month or family of 2 around 700 bucks. Not cheap. at all

8. profile image46
    red cliffposted 6 years ago

not eat no sleep work is very hard two find now  adays  and allso to this is very hard hard too for all those people two pay any kind of bills that they all have too do for them selfs

9. pclegal profile image58
    pclegalposted 6 years ago

Use free, no-obligation health insurance quotes to compare private health insurance in your area, plan benefits and coverage costs.

10. ringlawncare profile image62
    ringlawncareposted 6 years ago

PRAY! I have five kids and we just can't afford any type of insurance!

11. IJR112 profile image61
    IJR112posted 6 years ago

I have an Individual plan.  BlueCross BlueShield.

12. Jester98 profile image70
    Jester98posted 6 years ago

My uncle was on his own for awhile with insurance. They have BC/BS they very basic plan I forget which it was exactly. He told me the deductible was for emergencies was 10,000. Now he tells me the good thing was they always kept that kind of money saved up just for that so after awhile of not needing it, they were able to save more money.  Does make sense as well since when your paying out of pocket you tend not to go to the DR as much for little silly things if that makes sense.

13. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 6 years ago

I ante up and pay the $200 each month for health and dental.

14. nicolestrovich548 profile image60
    nicolestrovich548posted 5 years ago

I think the best place for you to inquire is to the medical coding of the hospital. Visit http://bestmedicalcoding.com for more info.