Democrats & Healthcare plan is an oxymoron....read the post

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (30 posts)
  1. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Ok so I'm watching CNN this morning and they have 3 Democrats talking about the healthcare plan and how it's going to be great for Americans.

They talked about ways they were going to pay for the plan and two of the ways contradict everything about the plan.

They want to raise taxes by 40% for "Cadalliac" plans which are insurance plans that people buy that are premium and cost over $8,500 to purchase.

Let me get this straight....This new healthcare plan will force people to buy insurance or get a stiff fine by the government BUT the government is saying that you can't get a GREAT plan or we'll tax you on that as well.  What???

This healthplan is supposed to give more Americans insurance (by forcing them to buy it) yet you are going to tax people 40% more who HAVE a GREAT insurance plan???  Are you serious??  So we can have insurance but everyone has to have cheap or low-quality insurance.  Great, thanks Democrats.

Then the plan is going to cut Medicare by about $400 million.  But then the Democrats on CNN said this morning that the Medicare benefits will actually increase with more after-care coverage for seniors that leave the hospital and need people to care for them at home and for people that need counseling afterwards.  What???

How are you cutting $400 million in Medicare but their care will actually increase??  If their care increases, someone has to pay for it, right???

Folks, this plan is going to cost a TON OF MONEY and it's clear Congress are just doing this for the "historic" tag rather than thinking it through.  Plus, Americans are 50/50 on it and most of us still have no idea what is in it.

The Democrats are going to lose a lot of members in the mid-term elections.  It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dont worry.  It will just be like our NHS.  It is normal for us to pay National Insurance Contributions from our pay and no one begrundges it.  Our NHS saves lifes.  Our average life span is 6 years more than the u.s.a.  It will be a good thing... you wait and see.

Us Brits moan about our NHS, but we wouldnt go back.  Thinking about it, us Brits just... errr... moan in general x

1. TimTurner profile image69
        TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This plan is nothing like European health care.  You guys have UNIVERSAL care.  We don't and will not under this plan.  We have to purchase our own coverage but if we get the best plan, we have to pay more taxes.

There will still be about 11 million Americans without insurance with this healthcare plan.

Our government is broke by $1.2 trillion and this new healthcare plan is going to cost another $1 trillion.

The UK government is way more efficient at running a country.  Believe me.

1. profile image0

LMFAO!  At least you had the opportunity to elect your leader!  Our one got where he is through default.  Gordon Brown was never elected by the people!

I think your healthcare bill will start of as basic, but as time goes on it will evolve and change.  The NHS has been in operation for over 40 year!  That is a lot of change over the time. x

2. profile image0

Deleted

1. tksensei profile image59
            tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I understand your discomfort with the parilimentary system. Regarding the 'health'care bill, I believe that if it passes in anything like the form Pelosi, Reid, and The Obama want it will start horrible and "evolve" to completely unworkable.

2. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats not fair! You live longer because you are in cold storage!

1. Paraglider profile image86
          Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now, that one WAS funny! lol

2. MikeNV profile image66
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The plan is going to put a stop to Insurance Companies denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions.

Mmmm okay.  And how much will the chronically ill person who is not eligible for coverage have to pay for the new mandated coverage?  And if they can't afford the coverage then what?

I'm for health insurance for everyone... sure am.  But it has to be in a plan that serves the interests of everyone and divides the risk pool in an equitable fashion.

Clearly this legislation is not what people want and like the Bailout is being forced down our throats.  Unfortunately all the Republicans can offer is criticism.

Will there ever be a plan that works for everyone - NO!  Why?  Because the Government (Both sides are to blame) can not create any legislation that isn't ripe with pork.  Special interests control what is written into law... and all Politicians can be bought.

Compromise on this issue will create a disaster.

1. Pr0metheus profile image57
        Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Politicians can be bought"

A-fricking-men.  We're all screwed

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just realized this?

1. Pr0metheus profile image57
            Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreement != Realization

2. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Does anyone else see the wrong thinking in this bill?

3. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

If you actually read the bill. The point is to move everyone off of private health insurance. Only "New" employees will be able to  enter a private insurance plan. If you company can no longer afford the current plan and switch to a new one....current employees will not be able to move over to it. They will be forced to go to a public plan. With that being said. The idea that you will pay for it with taxes on private plans makes absolutely NO SENSE!

1. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nonsense.

4. profile image55
    jreevesposted 14 years ago

What cracks me up about the funding of this health care plan, is that Obama and et. el. have stated that billions will be saved by cutting inefficiencies in medicare and they want us to believe that this health care reform will be efficient.

5. fishtiger58 profile image67
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

I am really scared.

1. progressiveWiccan profile image60
      progressiveWiccanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HUH?
      SCARED OF WHAT? DO you have insurance or medicare then be happy, god forbid you have a stroke and no one to care for you, under todays medicare you are on your own. the future medicare hopefully will care for you in a facility without you having to sell all you own, should you not have longterm disability. I VISIT SAD PUBLIC NURSING HOMES EVERY TUESDAY. You need to be scared of those places that medicaid covers, once they make sure you dont have a dime.

6. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

For one, medicare scares me, will it even be around when I need it?  What about for those using it now?

My hope is that:

a) companies retain their health insurance for their employees & the employees continue to pay for it through the company.

b) a health care plan that insures employed workers who do not have the benefit of getting insurance from their company, at a reasonable cost.

In the state I'm in, we have AFDC, Medical Assistance, welfare and an insurance program for people who work but need health insurance because their company does not have health insurance benefits.  So basically everyone is covered, if they want to be.  We pay heavy taxes for all of this.  I worked at the Department of Human Services, I know how the welfare & AFDC programs work, in truth there are some people who want to find jobs, but over all, many are happy with their monthly checks, more babies, bigger checks.  They know how to work the system too.

IMO - the current system needs to be fixed before they put a new one in place.  We had a huge program that PAID for AFDC mom's to go to school to get a 2 or 4 year degree, the program paid for daycare and transportation.  Very few took advantage of it, many couldn't because of illiteracy or second language issues.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image63
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Here's a good one!

COBURN/VITTER PLAN GOES AWRY.... Sens. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) and David Vitter (R-La.) no doubt thought they were being clever. They crafted an amendment that would force members of Congress to get their coverage through a public insurance plan, if the public option were included as part of health care reform. If it's good enough for American consumers, it should be good enough for their elected representatives, right?

They had no idea how much Democrats agreed with the sentiment.

As we talked about this morning, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) not only loved the idea, he wanted to join the right-wing senators as a co-sponsor on their amendment. When they refused -- this was supposed to be a conservative stunt, not a real idea -- Brown used procedural tactics to make himself a co-sponsor of the Coburn/Vitter measure, whether they like it or not.

Then, Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.) said she, too, wanted to join. Soon after, Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) endorsed the Coburn/Vitter amendment and also asked to be a co-sponsor. "If we have a public option in this plan, as I hope that we will, I think there's nothing wrong in insisting that members of Congress be included in that public option proposal," Dodd said, calling the idea "wonderful."

These guys are taking away all of Coburn's and Vitter's fun.

Now, it's worth noting that the conservatives' measure isn't quite right. The point of a public option is choice -- consumers would be given a chance to select from a series of competing plans, choosing the one that works best for them. One of the options would be a public plan. The Coburn/Vitter amendment wants to take away lawmakers' choices and force them to get coverage through the public plan -- something that wouldn't happen to other U.S. consumers. Dems, in other words, want to give eligible Americans a choice, and these far-right Republicans want to take that choice away.

But no matter. The fun part of this is that it's a stunt gone awry. Coburn and Vitter were probably whispering to themselves, "We'll show them." It didn't occur to them that Democrats would call their bluff.

Source: an email from a "plugged in" friend.

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not surprised.

1. XtineTheWriter profile image59
        XtineTheWriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tim, you have created quite a thought-provoking hub. Isn't it comforting to know that our government is expanding its  legislative horizons by creating a buy-or-go-to-jail health care policy? Is my assertion wrong? Hmmm, maybe I could speak more intelligently on the topic if the details of this secretive plan were shared with the American public.

8. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Well don't forget, Obama is so uninfluenced by lobbyists that he won't tax medical insurance plans for unions.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean health insurance plans for union workers.  And they're still being taxed, just later than was originally proposed in the plan. 

Just thought you might want to have the facts.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well who else would it be but the workers?  And why should they not be taxed at the same time like the rest of us? Why give them a reprieve?

1. profile image0

Like I said, they ARE being taxed; you're the one who said they aren't, and you are mistaken.

No you're mistaken.  Obama has a deal with them that they don't have to pay taxes on their health plans until 2017.

1. profile image0

Well, if they have to pay taxes starting in 2017, then they're being taxed.  Almost all of the taxes and provisions in the health care bill are set to take effect two or more years from enactment.  Your original statement was:

"Well don't forget, Obama is so uninfluenced by lobbyists that he won't tax medical insurance plans for unions."

Union workers will be taxed.

9. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

lol lol

OK my misunderstanding, I thought you had the facts.

lol

1. profile image0

Obviously, I did.  And you just corroborated them in your earlier post.

Have a nice evening!

Yeah if you say so. Good Night.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)