jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should the government eliminate the income tax?

1. jtmiddleton profile image71
    jtmiddletonposted 6 years ago

Should the government eliminate the income tax?

Either it's patriotic to pay a percentage of your earnings, or it's a punishment for working.

2. girlgonestrong profile image61
    girlgonestrongposted 6 years ago

Sure.  I think they should.  Then, of course, they'd need to replace the revenues that would be lost with a tax of a different kind.  You can't maintain the most powerful military in the world without some form of tax revenue.  So they'd need to take whatever amount of revenue lost from income taxes and just add it back on to the backs of the people in some form of flat tax.

There's no getting out of taxes ya know.  Neither death.

3. shailudhakad profile image60
    shailudhakadposted 6 years ago

No, as it helps the government to develop your country and ultimately helps you to raise your standard of living.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I understand what you are saying but we have to think this through to the end result.  The government waives all income tax.  Suddenly there is no revenue, no medicare, no medicaid, no government benefits of any kind, no armed services and the list goes on.

As citizens of this country - we have to do our share.  Now is that share fair?  Not necessarily. I do think the tax code needs revamping so there is more fairness across the board such as a flat or consumption tax.