jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should there be any qualifications for someone to win a large-sum lottery?

1. emilybee profile image86
    emilybeeposted 6 years ago

Should there be any qualifications for someone to win a large-sum lottery?

An 81 year old woman just won the 3rd biggest lottery, ever. She surely deserves it, but do you think there should ever be any qualifications for someone to win the lottery? Based on how much they need it, how deserving they are, community contributions, etc?

2. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 6 years ago

Good question, but no, a lottery should remain a game of chance and the 81 year old who won it has family, friends, and charities that she can divide it amongst once she dies. If she wants to be buried with it all, that's up to her too. There are poor and working class people who win the lottery. In addition, there have been people such as senators and wealthy businessmen who have won the lottery on top of their affluence, and I still believe that the lottery should remain a game of chance for those who take it. The lottery has the qualification that the ticket must be purchased and I believe that's enough.

3. bill yon profile image74
    bill yonposted 6 years ago

No there should NOT be any qaulifications for someone to win the lottery. It should remain as it is the luck of the draw. I have never played the lottery myself because I can make a million before winning a million, but the lottery should remain as it is now, placing qaulifications on who can win the lottery based upon whatever reasons is crazy. The lottery should remain just like it is where anyone can purchase a ticket and win.

4. Tom Schumacher profile image49
    Tom Schumacherposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not!  We already have too much governmental regulation.  If you're lucky enough to win at lotto then you deserve to reap the rewards, retire, and sip cocktails in the Caribbean while you sunbath.  ~ Game over!

5. cheaptoys profile image59
    cheaptoysposted 6 years ago

dont think so. lottery is all about luck and same chances should be given to all who buy

6. darrensurrey profile image73
    darrensurreyposted 6 years ago

It's an interesting idea. Perhaps someone could set up such a lottery. smile

7. profile image61
    MelindaJGHposted 6 years ago

Interesting question.  Citizenship might be a logical requirement, since the winner should pay taxes on the large prize.  A citizen would also be more likely to spend the funds in this country, whereas a foreign visitor might enrich his or her own country with the funds.  To the extent that the winner spends or invests in this country, the economy and other workers benefit.

working