jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

If you were given $20,000 to live off of for 1 year, do you think you could surv

1. momster profile image59
    momsterposted 6 years ago

If you were given $20,000 to live off of for 1 year, do you think you could survive with that?

Many people today have to make at least $40,000 to live comfortable. If you were given a set amount of $20,000 how would you be able to survive?

2. LucidDreams profile image71
    LucidDreamsposted 6 years ago

No problem.......... I have always been creative and there are just too many things we use that are not truly needed. Budget my food, get a bicycle and live frugal. It is not nearly as hard as some may think. I would actually enjoy the challenge!

3. okaygrace profile image59
    okaygraceposted 6 years ago

I live in Los Angeles(one of the more expensive places to live in the US) and my living expenses for myself and my fiance is less than $30k a year, including entertainment/travel expenses. Getting it down to $20k wouldn't be difficult.

People generally spend way too much on living expenses than is necessary.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I could and it could be cutting things down to only the necessities and maybe wearing a pair of jeans or two with little holes - but yes, I could do it.

5. profile image73
    ElleBeeposted 6 years ago

Been doing it for years.  Just have to be creative as those below you said.

6. cloverleaffarm profile image65
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

Being that I lived on less than that for years, I guess I could do it again. Then again, I don't live like most people.
    I grow my own food (about 75%), make my own clothes, or shop Goodwill. I wear things so long, I have clothes older than my kids(they are 26 and 29). I don't go out to eat much, because it is expensive, and unhealthy. I cook our meals from scratch, so I save on prepacked items. I don't do gadgets (cell phones, TV, Cable) like most do.
    Yeah, easy peasy.

7. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I have done it for years and sometimes I think I had more money and fun then. The last three years are the first time since I was married 26 years ago that we make more than that. Most of that we lived on about $15,000 and that was raising 3 kids.

8. Tricia Hein profile image61
    Tricia Heinposted 5 years ago

Since my rent is so low I definitely could. If I had to find a house or an apartment, that would likely be a different story, since I would want to live in a nice, clean space and wouldn't want too many roommates.