jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Top 10 Stock Tips for the Long-Term Investor?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

Top 10 Stock Tips for the Long-Term Investor?

2. theframjak profile image91
    theframjakposted 6 years ago

Look for dividend growth stocks, ones that have a proven record of increasing dividends every year. Then invest regularly in them and especially when the market takes a dip. The dividend increases will pull up the stock price as the years pass. You won't get rich quickly, but the dividend payouts are nice and provide an added source of income.

3. bankscottage profile image96
    bankscottageposted 6 years ago

I think the key is being in it for the long-term.  Sticking with your plan.  Have a diversified portfolio, low cost index funds for most people who don't make investing their life.  Keep your costs down.  Avoid chasing the hot stock, eventually you will get burned. 

I know people can make money with day trading, penny stocks, and options, etc.  But, you better know what you are doing.

Sometimes you have to step back and look at the opposite perspective.  If I want to buy something in the market, someone has to want to sell it.  I think I know why I want to buy it, why does the other person want to sell?  The market takes a buyer and a seller.  You both can't be right or can you?

4. clemchambers profile image39
    clemchambersposted 5 years ago

•    Diversify
        •    Plan to rotate you portfolio every 3-5 years
        •    Don’t concentrate your portfolio because a big winner overwhelms the   
                    others: top slice
        •    Make sure your account is a tax shelter
        •    Make sure your account is insured
        •    Don’t let success tempt you to change your technique
        •    Pull the weeds. Sell stocks that are mistakes.
        •    Only go to cash if you think the world is ending
        •    Buy crashes hard
        •    Match your position size inversely to risk. Risky small, safer bigger.