jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When eating out, traveling, etc..., do you tip people who earn an hourly wage?

1. Cas Merchant profile image59
    Cas Merchantposted 6 years ago

When eating out, traveling, etc..., do you tip people who earn an hourly wage?

I used to tip everybody from the postman to the hotel maids and coffee shop counter help. But, let's face it, the economy is sinking and that becomes expensive. I have had to cut back and now, for instance, I tend to not tip, as a rule, those who are already earning hourly pay. If you have a job with steady pay and especially benefits, I feel that tipping should not be expected. However, I will be generous with tips to those who don't -such as cab drivers (earns approx. 40% commission and rarely gets benefits)  and resaurant servers (who earn only $2.63 per hour and get no benefits).

2. Bob Ewing profile image42
    Bob Ewingposted 6 years ago

I tip usually 15% and will continue to do so, but usually only cab drivers and restaurant wait staff, at a hotel maybe the maid and the valet if there is one and I use the service.

3. Khal Blogo profile image60
    Khal Blogoposted 6 years ago

I always tip at any such establishment i grace with my presence. It's polite, and also a good way to make sure there're no dead rats in your stew. Most people, even if they earn hourly wages, don't do that well.

4. samnashy profile image80
    samnashyposted 5 years ago

Usually, as a European, I believe we are not as generous as the Americans when it comes to tipping.  I wouldn't tip 15% but I usually give something.

working