Do you think that children should learn to bake and cook?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (20 posts)
  1. MellyMoo profile image61
    MellyMooposted 11 years ago

Do you think that children should learn to bake and cook?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image67
    cloverleaffarmposted 11 years ago

Yes! I taught both my kids how to cook, and bake starting from age 2. Obviously, at age two they were just helping me stir and things, but it gave them the basics from almost day one. My older son, loves to cook, and create in the kitchen.
    It is important to teach your children how to cook, and it creates special memories for all. I wrote a hub on this, if you care to read it.

3. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

Yes - they should spend time from a young age with Mum / Dad in the kitchen learning from a young age so they can cook for  themselves as well as the family .
    It is sad to hear about people growing up unable to cook.

4. joanwz profile image80
    joanwzposted 11 years ago

Yes I taught both my kids how to bake and cook from an early age They're all grown up now and are both creative in the kitchen. They are able to come up with their own recipes and have come up with a few adaptations of some of mine that are genius. My son's wife loves the fact that he can cook, because she doesn't like it much and isn't nearly as handy in the kitchen as he is.

5. yoginijoy profile image65
    yoginijoyposted 11 years ago

Yes, I never learned as a child and now as an adult I am a terrible cook!  I tend to forget to eat and get headaches as a result. Please teach the children this necessary skill.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

C'mon, it's never too late to learn how to cook.   I believe that children are TOO YOUNG to learn to cook.  Let the lessons begin when they are teenagers!  Let them be CHILDREN for God's sake. Don't THRUST adult responsibilities on children!

6. Volitans profile image68
    Volitansposted 11 years ago

Absolutely. Not knowing how to cook and bake dooms your children to a life of terrible food and eating out. Not only is eating out far more expensive than eating in, it's also mch harder to stick to a healthy diet when you have to eat out constantly.

I was taught to cook from a young age, and I'm happier for it. So is my wife. smile

1. SkySlave profile image72
      SkySlaveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with what you've said about eating out. Its so much cheaper to make it yourself and with enough practice you can make it taste ten times better too.

7. shiningirisheyes profile image59
    shiningirisheyesposted 11 years ago

Yes - My family taught me at an early age and it has provides me some of the best life moments while enjoying family, friends and good food.

8. SkySlave profile image72
    SkySlaveposted 11 years ago

Absolutely! Teaching kids how to cook is teaching them more than just preparing food. When you teach a child how to cook your also teaching them creativity, and knowledge of other cultures and what the other cultures eat. Your also teaching them timing, accuracy and dexterity. I think its important to teach kids about the responsibility of handling dangerous equipment in the kitchen. (how to hold a knife, how ovens, stove tops and deep fryers work, etc) I was thought by my mother and grandparents how to cook safely in a kitchen at a young age and i couldn't be more grateful. Because of the interest they gave me in they in the culinary arts, i went on to gain an associates degree in culinary arts with Le Cordon Bleu. I may not have done this if i was not encouraged to cook when i was little. I believe that its just another door you can open for your children, just make sure there only cooking with you present in the kitchen to ensure safety until they reach an age where their capable of cooking on their own.

9. vespawoolf profile image93
    vespawoolfposted 11 years ago

Yes! I learned to cook and bake at a young age. To this day, I enjoy working in the kitchen. I owe it to my early education at home.

10. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 11 years ago

I'd say yes. I took my first cooking class in second grade at a children's rec facility on the base my family was living at in Germany. It's been my passion ever since.

11. MellyMoo profile image61
    MellyMooposted 11 years ago

I wholeheartedly agree with all of you. When i left home I really had no idea, except for alittle baking. I am making sure my children get in the kitchen whenever possible. It is so important for them to have these skills. Freecampingaussie, you're right....it is sad.
    Josnwz, good on you for teaching your kids. It must be great when they come up with those variations:)
    Shiningirisheyes...that's also what it's about isn't it....enjoying together!
    Yoginjoy.... Sorry to hear that you did not learn&suffer from headaches. Try my trick. Start googling&before you shop, plan your meals ahead so you know what ingredients to buy. It's so important to feed our bodies well, regularly.
    Skyslave, you brought up some very good points re. Safety
    Volitans, totally agree. Eating out should be done occasionally. It sure is more expensive&you can't always be sure what you are eating either.
    Vespawoolf, great that you learnt at home too.
    Marntzu, what a wonderful passion!
    smile

12. MargaritaEden profile image68
    MargaritaEdenposted 11 years ago

Absolutely, most of them love doing it, for the purpose of spending more time with us parents, and it is fun to!

13. glorgeousmom profile image77
    glorgeousmomposted 11 years ago

I do think that children must all learn some basic know-how in the kitchen simply because we are an evolving specie. Knowledge is power and teaching our children some basic kitchen rudiments will help build their self esteem, gain more self-confidence, and help empower them in the future. They will learn safety measures all the time and so they will gain insights of the dangers they are to face outside the home. They will learn how to be very patient, diligent, consistent, some level of accuracy which they will learn and develop while learning how to bake. They will learn to do the math too. They will learn to be creative, resourceful and innovative and a whole lot more. But I don't believe in forcing a child in learning something he/she doesn't like. And the best time to introduce and teach a child on basic kitchen rudiments (it is the same with other form of learning) is when they are inquisitive the most because the love for learning will come naturally to them.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A+++

14. profile image0
    susanm23bposted 11 years ago

I absolutely think that children should learn to bake and cook.  Of course, they should only be doing age-appropriate tasks--being careful with knives, hot pots, etc. AND with adult supervision.

Not only does learning to cook give them a feeling of accomplishment and self sufficiency, but it can also be an enjoyable hobby or even a great career!  Today's child learning to fry an egg could be tomorrow's celebrated chef!

15. Efficient Admin profile image84
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

I would say yes definitely.  Kids should learn their way around the kitchen and how to handle the equipment.  It's good for them to learn how to take care of things around the house they live in.  It's to their advantage to know these things before they get out there on their own.

1. MellyMoo profile image61
      MellyMooposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It sure is!

16. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9025033_f260.jpg

I would say let them be children & explore their childhood.  When they are teenagers, they can learn to cook. Children who have responsibilities thrust upon them in childhood, learn to resent them as such responsibilities distract from a normative childhood.  They have plenty of time to learn to cook & bake.  Let them be children!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)